NGD! Orange, Blackstar, Little Labs...

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
I know you all love looking at gear as much as me, so I thought I'd post my new (ish) acquisitions:

The Cab I've had for a month or two, but I haven't posted any pics yet.

I'll do a shootout with the TT and the new Blackstar HT-5 using the Redeye and the Boost next week. I need some cables first (plus the Blackstar hasn't arrived yet). Enjoy!

Tiny Terror:

TinyTerror.jpg

TT with Blackstar OS 4x12:

BlackstarOrange.jpg

Toadworks Meat Jr:

Toadworks.jpg

Little Labs Redeye:

Redeye.jpg

Any chance of some clips of the blackstar cab sometime down the line? By the looks of things it's a MUCH cheaper alternative to the mesa standard cab. If the quality is good then I can see this being a very popular cab.

Any chance of some clips of the blackstar cab sometime down the line? By the looks of things it's a MUCH cheaper alternative to the mesa standard cab. If the quality is good then I can see this being a very popular cab.

Don't worry the shootout between the TT and the HT-5 will be mic'd up through that cab :headbang:

...........Although I suck at micing, so it may well be :zombie:

I love the cab, the build quality is just astonishingly good. It's like having a really nice piece of furniture in your room!

Great haul James! Though where's the HT-5 dude, did you already have that? And what's that Toadworks Meat pedal, are you gonna use that as an OD? Cuz it doesn't necessarily look like it'd have the low-thinning effect that the TS-type pedals have which the Tiny Terror really needs IMO. I thought you were gonna get a Bad Monkey?

Can't believe you went for the HT-5 over the Rev Jr...

Well firstly the HT-5 is half the price of the Krank; £215 v. £399 :Smug: and secondly I didn't, the HT-5 is my Dad's purchase. I don't play Tech/Death/Metalcore anyway so the Krank isn't really my thing. I much prefer 'wumph, wumph' to 'djent, djent' :lol:

Great haul James! Though where's the HT-5 dude, did you already have that? And what's that Toadworks Meat pedal, are you gonna use that as an OD? Cuz it doesn't necessarily look like it'd have the low-thinning effect that the TS-type pedals have which the Tiny Terror really needs IMO. I thought you were gonna get a Bad Monkey?

Still waiting on the HT-5 as it isn't released yet/ I was referring mainly to the Cab in the title. Regarding the TT low-end, I personally don't think it needs reducing, all it needs is tightening up/compressing. I'm using the Boost on the 'Clean' setting which is fairly transparent, but it tightens up the low end without radically altering the mid-range like a TS. It sounds quite dark compared to the Fireball, especially though the Oversized cab. I'll have to see what it sounds like recorded. I've yet to pop it open to check, but being a Korean made version I assume it has JJ's in there. I want to pick up a Tung-sol for V1.

EDIT: As I have the Redeye I can always use BTE's TSS on the way out when reamping anyway, just in case the Boost doesn't work under a mic. Love it in the room though.

Ah right, good call on TSS - and when I say reducing, I mean tightening up, cuz as I understand it that's really what the TS effect is, "tightening" the low end by just thinning some of it out (as I learned from JBroll's dissertation :lol: ) And actually, I did a reamping test between my Tung Sol and Shuguang 9th gen. 12AX7's in V1, and while the difference was subtle, I actually preferred the Shuguang, as I found the Tung Sol to be a bit more unpleasantly harsh

The Krank does a lot more than djent-djent and tech-death.... for example I'm using it right now with my Strats for my blues-rock tone which I'm absolutely loving. It's no Bassman, but it's damn near the tone I imagined for my stuff.

~006

nice, but the hat in the back looks gay!

Hahaha, I just fucking knew one of you would mention either that, or the stoner wizard figure:lol: What can I say, I don't really dress like your stereotypical metalhead, although most of my stuff is black. Ihsahn for one has a penchant for suits, thats good enough for me. :headbang:

The Krank does a lot more than djent-djent and tech-death.... for example I'm using it right now with my Strats for my blues-rock tone which I'm absolutely loving. It's no Bassman, but it's damn near the tone I imagined for my stuff.

~006

I used my Fireball for blues/surf/classic rock as well, with a number of different Strats and Tele's. Most modern 'metal' heads seem to adapt well to different pickups and woods. That said, the price difference between the HT-5 and Rev Jr still stands and the Engl never did those thick, dark tones nearly as well as the TT. Different strokes.....