Nickelback Here & Now- Productions SLAYS!

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
I always look forward to a Nickelback album. I feel dirty every time too, but these guys pull out a a beast of a sound on every endeavour.

I had heard the formula was going to be different on here & now with no Staub involved, but looks like he was in there somewhere!

Additional personnel Brian Howes - Production, Additional Guitar
Joey Moi – production, engineering
Jay Van Poederooyen – engineering, mixing
Scott Cooke – engineering, editing
Chris Lord-Alge – mixing
Randy Staub – mixing
Keith Armstrong – mixing assistance
Zach Blackstone – mixing assistance
Nik Karpen – mixing assistance
Gail Marowitz – art direction
Travis Shinn – photography
Brennan Brousseau – cover artwork

They've got the bass and guitar really melding on the "Kiss it Goodbye", shitloads of automation on the drums as usual - not sure you can beat the tones that get. Love it!

Not sure about the songs themselves. What do you guys think?

dark horse, for me, has got the edge in terms of production although here and now is incredible as well. however, I don't like most of the songs from their new album so far.

noticed that the guitars are really mid-y... but works perfectly, stellar mix. but what could you expect? CLA and staub involved, can't fail

nickelback is my absolute go to for every album i mix, esp dark horse. cant wait for this album!
guitar tone on the new songs i heard are really up front/super middy and i totally love that!

CLA and Staub involved, can't fail

This, for real, those guys are fucking wizards.

That being said, I've always kinda hope that whenever they announce an album, it says somewhere "Nickelback are to record the album with Ermin Hamidovic". It just seems like it should happen, you know?

Staub probably mixed all of Moi's stuff and JVP/CLA mixed all of Brian's. Brian And JVP (Jay Van Poederooyen) work in the studio next to me and pretty much put out some of the best sounding shit around.

The album sounds amazing but the songs sucks so much, it is ridiculous - and that's coming from a Nickelback fan. Even the heavier ones are kinda cheesy...

Anyway, I am impressed on how much treble is cut on those guitars and it sounds awesome.

The first time I heard the new single on the radio I messaged Ermz about it. The bass and drum intro sound fucking brutal compared to every thing else on the radio haha!
Might pick this up just for the production lol.

I actually didn't like the new album mix wise. It is so overthe top haha. Drums are more compressed then ever and the kick is so LOOOOOUD!!!

And i don't mind pumping in general but this mix pumps like never before haha. And the vocals are a bit burried. Staub has done better mixes then this for sure.

Yea, I'm not too big on the mix either. The vocals are way too low for my tastes.

Found this on YouTube:

Nickelback totally kick Metallica's ass live. It's not even the same planet performance wise ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nickelback have been too far on the 'overproduced' side for me ever since Dark Horse. I just can't listen to those albums. Pedestrian songwriting, covered up by way too much volume, and everything being in your face at once.

I hear they're a really solid live outfit. Apparently worth seeing for that alone. Working with metal, you really start to respect bands who can actually play their own music competently.

Nickelback have been too far on the 'overproduced' side for me ever since Dark Horse. I just can't listen to those albums. Pedestrian songwriting, covered up by way too much volume, and everything being in your face at once.

I hear they're a really solid live outfit. Apparently worth seeing for that alone. Working with metal, you really start to respect bands who can actually play their own music competently.

FWIW, your work on the Feared album is right up there with my all-time favorites man. Absolutely brilliant work.

this is ehhh. all the right reasons is one of my fav rock albums both musically and production wise. to me they will never match that. dark horse was pretty impressive sound wise but it wasn't as good song wise and i still preferred the production on ATRR.

i gave this album a spin on spotify and nothing really jumps at me. i will listen again. i do hear with pretty good accuracy i'd bet which songs are CLA and which are staub.

didn't listen to the new record, but I hate how many people just say that they're shit.

and that live video was pretty cool, didn't thought that they would kick that much ass.