Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
Anyone else a fan of them? I didn't really get into them until after they fired Tarja, but still before they found Annette. Once is a great album but so far I'm liking Dark Passion Play a lot more. The Poet and the Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful, and Amaranth are all amazing songs.

I used to love them but i bought Angels fall first and Wishmaster and didn't like them as much as Century Child which is my favourite album. Once is awesome too :kickass: but i haven't really got into the new singer - it sounds more commercial nowadays like they've lost that special something that made them unique. That being said it's still quite a strong album and the songs you mentioned are all really good.
I guess i'd say that i like them but only for two albums :loco:

I checked out some of the other albums but couldn't really get into them. Now that I'm really liking them, though, I should go back and check out Angels Fall First, Wishmaster, Oceanborn, and Century Child...

Wasn't into them when I saw them at Bloodstock 03, but have since really got them. Dark Passion Play is a great album and think that all their albums are excellent

Not really a big fan of the operatic vocals, there are a scattering of songs I like from a number of their earlier albums. Dark Passion Play sounds great, the vocals are pretty good and there are a number of excellent songs on the record. I've heard from a couple of sources that the live performances leave a bit to be desired, but I guess I'll see at bloodstock...!

Not really a big fan of the operatic vocals, there are a scattering of songs I like from a number of their earlier albums.

Agreed. I've always been put off by female vocals in my metal. Not a sexist remark I've just never heard a female vocalist who's been able to pull it off. Nightwish have some decent guitars in there though so maybe I should give them more of a listen.