Nightwish, Pain @ London Astoria 25th March 2008

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
*This is going to be a two parter jobby since I'm going to the Thursday 27th date as well*

Having waited patiently for nearly three years for Nightwish to return to Britain I had to go . Now I'll admit that I wasn't entirely sure whether I would enjoy it as much. I tend to be one of these people who need to hear something for myself but having really got into the new album, I decided to give it a go .
I managed to get in after three hours of queing and managed to get a decent spot at the left of the stage.

First up were Pain from Sweden. I think the fact that not many people knew their songs very well contributed to the slightly lukewarm reception they got. The songs weren't bad. I dunno if I'd actually go out and buy an album though.

After a long wait, the band finally arrived onstage and the crowd went crazy. They plunged straight into 'Bye Bye Beautiful' and 'Dark Chest of Wonders' During the second song there was a girl who had a fit so security was very good about getting her out of there pronto. I hope she's okay.

I'm not sure whether the band were aware of what was going on because they carried on.

the set list carried on as follows: (I'll have to edit this later so bear with me!)
'The Poet and the Pendulum
Dead to the world
Sahara
Nemo
Wishmaster
Wish I had an Angel

I have to say Marco and Anette did a great job. Everyone enjoyed the show immensely. I can't wait 'til Thursday!

Pain:
Same Old Song
Eleanor Rigby
End of the Line
Zombie Slam
Nailed to the Ground
Just Hate Me
On and On
Shut Your Mouth

Nightwish:
Intro
Bye Bye Beautiful
Dark Chest of Wonders
Whoever Brings the Night
The Siren
Amaranth
The Poet and the Pendulum
Dead to the World
The Islander
Last of the Wilds
Sahara
Nemo
Wishmaster
I Wish I Had An Angel

Review to come in a couple of days. Pain were amazing - I didn't know their material but I'm a huge fan of Peter Tagtgren (their singer and guitarist) - he's a legend from bands like Hypocrisy and Bloodbath. Also he's a well-known producer - he produced COB's latest. The death metal fanboys in the crowd (me included) were going nuts! :)

*Part 2 coming up*

Since Hanttu was kind enough to post the set list I'm wondering whther I should let him finish off since I feel this report is very messy. Moral of the story is: two part reviews suck (or at least should be planned better!) Still I'll try my best ....

There were quite a few people who attended both dates (or even all three + the signing at Zavvi on Oxford Street, which unfortunately I couldn't attend as I had to go back to work) By the time we got in to see Pain, the audience were familiar with their songs and they got a better response. I have to say I enjoyed their set better now that I'd heard the songs.

Nightwish came on to a hero's welcome. The set list didn't much differ from Tuesday night with the brilliant exception that they played '7 Days to the Wolves' which is one of my favorite songs off 'DPP' just before the encores of 'Wishmaster' and 'Wish I had an Angel'. So naturally I went home very happy.

The band looked happy to be there and you could see the camarderie onstage. At the end of the gig, they all hugged each other

Overall , it was a great experience and I'm glad I went. I'll definitely try to see them again if I can! I hope they'll be back before they go off to do the follow up to 'DPP'.

Excellent! It's always good to see further proof of the fact that this is a new golden age for Nightwish (for both the fans AND the band themselves). :]

I went to the Wednesday 26th March gig and it was fantastic! Great atmosphere too :)

Bumping an old thread...
I've just got news that there's tickets for Nightwish to play my favourite venue Brixton Academy in March 11 2009. I'm going to have to buy a couple as soon as payday strikes. I just like the venue and seeing as I used to live in the area I feel very comfortable going back there for gigs.
So now there's something to look forward to, and there will be definitely be pictures!

^I saw that in a magazine last week and I can't wait! ^_^
What's Brixton like? I've heard it's a bit scary and the crowds can be a little aggressive. :S

@Angels fall first. Brixton has a bit of a rep , but I've never experienced a problem there to be honest. The only problem I ever had going to gigs there was when I queued up for the Unholy Alliance tour with Slayer, COB, Lamb of God +In flames a couple of years ago and someone had the cheek to ask was I lost as they couldn't believe that a black woman would willingly be queuing up to watch those bands!
As I remember the exchange went a little like this:

Nosy guy: Stockwell Park Road is over there luv.
Me: (Taking earphones out rather irritably) What?
Nosy guy: Stockwell Park Road is over there if you're lost.
Me: I'm not lost. I'm watching the band.
NG: You're watching the band? (stares at me as if I've grown a third eye!)
Me: (getting a bit annoyed with the man's attitude) Yes. And I do know my way round here as I was brought up in the area here, thanks.
NG: I didn't think 'girls like you' listened to this stuff.
Me: Well, I do (slams earphones back on, ending the conversation) Black people do listen to metal, you know!

The venue is really good and because the floor is sloped you're more likely to get a decent view of the stage, even if you don't get right to the front. Just make sure you get standing tickets and not seated as the balcony seats suck. You can't see anything at all! I would also advise queuing quite early if you can because the side street can get a bit packed.