NIGHTWISH/REVAMP Singer FLOOR JANSEN To Guest On New MAYAN Album

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
MAYAN — the band featuring EPICA guitarist/songwriter Mark Jansen alongside Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER) and Frank Schiphorst — recently entered the studio to begin recording 11 new songs for its sophomore album, tentatively due in January 2014 via Nuclear Blast Records. The concept for the CD is based on "the current state of the world which is going totally insane," according to a press release. "For example the explosive situation in Syria, governments who constantly accusing each other of lying, spying and using tricks to revoke their own population." As a very special guest, Floor Jansen, singer of both REVAMP and NIGHTWISH, will contribute her enchanting voice.Says Mark Jansen: "I am very happy with the songs. "The first album was one big (cool!) experiment, but I have the feeling that the new material is more coherent and in balance. "The philosophy of MAYAN is to let things happen intuitively and be totally open-minded for each other’s ideas. This resulted in music that I can't stop listening to myself!"MAYAN's debut album, "Quarterpast", was released in Europe on May 20, 2011 and in North America on July 12, 2011 via Nuclear Blast Records. The CD was recorded and mixed by Sascha Paeth (EPICA, KAMELOT).In an interview with The Great Southern Brainfart, Mark Jansen stated about MAYAN, "It started as just something for fun but soon it grew into something that had to be perfect as well. I thought it was just for fun to make music with old friends but now it's as serious for me as EPICA is. Of course, EPICA remains my priority band and that's the band that's doing the most of the tours but MAYAN will fill in the gaps."When asked if the MAYAN material is — conceptually and lyrically — similar to EPICA, Mark replied, "Lyrically, you will find a lot of comparisons because it's my style of writing. I didn't attempt to write about completely different stuff. It could have been lyrics for an EPICA CD as well but music-wise it's completely different. It contains way more grunts and it's way more heavy. It is still symphonic because I love that kind of music. It's like a mixture of SYMPHONY X and OPETH style. That kind of direction."MAYAN is:* Mark Jansen (EPICA, ex-AFTER FOREVER) – Guitar, Vocals* Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER) - Keyboards* Frank Schiphorst - Guitar, Vocals* Rob van der Loo (ex-SUN CAGED, DELAIN) - Bass* Isaac Delahaye (EPICA) - Guitar* Ariën van Weesenbeek (EPICA) - Drums

More...