NIGHTWISH: Shadow-Loving Insect Named After TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Conservation biologist Jukka Salmela of Metsähallitus Parks & Wildlife in Finland recently discovered a new insect species in his home country and while remembering Tuomas Holopainen's love for nature, he decided to name it "Sciophila Holopaineni" after the NIGHTWISH keyboardist and main songwriter. Following the release of the band's latest album, "Endless Forms Most Beautiful", in 2015, Holopainen became known as someone who was highly interested in evolution and the diversity of nature. "I am very, very touched. This is the highest honor a nature nerd like me can receive," Holopainen commented after being contacted by Salmela, who asked for permission to name the insect after the musician. So far, this particular fungus gnat has only been spotted in eastern Lapland, Finland, and lives in shadowy environments. NIGHTWISH frontwoman Floor Jansen recently shot down rumors that she will leave the band after welcoming her first child in early 2017 during the group's previously announced year-long break. She told Mariskal Rock TV: "No, I won't [quit NIGHTWISH]. I love this way too much; don't worry. You don't even have negative speculations one way or another. Things are great, and let's keep on doing this forever." Jansen revealed in September that she was four months pregnant. The singer's partner is SABATON drummer Hannes Van Dahl. NIGHTWISH recently completed a world tour in support of "Endless Forms Most Beautiful". The band's latest DVD/Blu-ray, "Vehicle Of Spirit", was released in December. It features not only two full concerts, but also plenty of bonus material. Sciophila Holopaineni photo by Jukka Salmela
nightwishinsect.jpg

Continue reading...