Nirvana

wow..nirvana! i like nirvana too..i have all their albums..but I don't listen to them so often now..I used to before, and now once in a while, so I don't forget it :)

Had a good drinking session/reminiscing session/grunge marathon last week. I do love this band. In Utero is a greatly underrated album.

As a guitar player I was totally turned off. They did put together some good songs though, still my least liked of that era of bands.

Kurt Cobain's death made him bigger than he really was. Decent song writer though. During that period, I take Alice in Chains way over Nirvana. But hey, that's just me.

As a guitar player I was totally turned off. They did put together some good songs though, still my least liked of that era of bands.
That is because you do not get any guitar playing unless it's technically inclined... and i know you will refute that but it's pretty obvious to the rest of us in your posts...

Kurt Cobain's death made him bigger than he really was. Decent song writer though. During that period, I take Alice in Chains way over Nirvana. But hey, that's just me.
I don't know about you but I grew up in that era and he was pretty big during that time regardless of his death. He was very big when he was alive and admired in the same way when he passed away.

Nirvana have some cool songs but AIC/Pixies/Pearl Jam are sososososo much better.
Pearl Jam... ummm no... they only really had one good album.. their debut... all the others were mediocre imo... all of Nirvana's albums were good imo... AIC were just as good but not better and Pixies are ok...

Nirvana was a great band with Influences that reach until now. of course Kurt became such a Legend because of his death, but that did hendrix, too.
they did couple of good songs, but my favorite is "The man who sold the world" in Live version. I just love that one.

That is because you do not get any guitar playing unless it's technically inclined... and i know you will refute that but it's pretty obvious to the rest of us in your posts...

I don't know about you but I grew up in that era and he was pretty big during that time regardless of his death. He was very big when he was alive and admired in the same way when he passed away.
Oh.O.K. If you say so.:lol:

You are funny indeed, do you always look over your shoulder to see if "the rest" got your back... how pathetic :lol:. I think my "Nirvana" guitar concerns revolve around that massive amount of noise, lack of technique and integrity. Nearly sounding out of tune all the time. I loved Weird Als version of the one song about how it was nearly impossible to understand a single word that came out of his mouth. For years I said he did the world a favor in killing himself. Now I simply give him/them credit for writing some decent "songs", which I did like slightly at the time. None the less I liked Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and especially Soundgarden and Candlebox much, much better.

Yes there were many children who thought the musical world evolved around "Nirvana"... much like there were many that thought it evolved around the Monkeys when I was a kid.... :lol:

His girlfriend was quite a piece of work

Bloodsword: Oh.O.K. If you say so. :lol:

:worship: - - - - ;)

Kurt Cobain's death made him bigger than he really was.

I don't agree. Nirvana were absolutely massive while Kurt was alive. Sure, his death probably boosted their album sales for a while and placed Kurt in the "immortal tragic rockstar" league, but you have to remember just how huge they were after Nevermind came out. Kurt was touted as the saviour of music, the ultimate anti-hero to Generation X etc. Actually, it could be argued that Kurt being so idolised while he was alive contributed significantly to his disillusion with the music business and subsequent suicide.

I'd probably like Nirvana more if Kurt Cobain's vocals and lyrics didn't seem retarded to me, they were more original and he didn't obviously rip off guitar riffs from bands that I like (and so did he, since he wrote about liking them in his journals) and then get a lot of credit for coming up with them and being a really good guitar player.

I'd probably like Nirvana more if Kurt Cobain's vocals and lyrics didn't seem retarded to me, they were more original and he didn't obviously rip off guitar riffs from bands that I like (and so did he, since he wrote about liking them in his journals) and then get a lot of credit for coming up with them and being a really good guitar player.

Can you provide some examples of guitar riffs that he blatantly ripped off other bands?

Also, I don't think he was ever regarded as a really good guitar player.

Nirvana were absolutely massive while Kurt was alive. - - - - Kurt was touted as the saviour of music, the ultimate anti-hero to Generation X etc. Actually, it could be argued that Kurt being so idolised while he was alive contributed significantly to his disillusion with the music business and subsequent suicide.

Do you really think so ? From where I am it seemed they just had a cult following of popularity amounst high schoolers. I guess that might fit your next statement I saved in the quote. But the entire "grunge" movement was that way. Pearl Jam was all to die for, AIC had their fans and same with Sound Garden. Candlebox was greatly successful, part of the Seattle "scene" and somewhat shuned by die hard grunge wanna be hippys... most likely avid followers of Kobain.

I'd have to say he was far from a savior of music and could only be touted so by the less musically inclined. There was an interview in Guitar player where he made some statement similiar to enjoying playing out of tune and not practicing. I dont have the artical anymore so I cant give accurate quote. Once again I will say he did write some decent songs, but then I did sound for a successful local cover act in the early mid 90's and they played a few Nirvana songs as well as the rest of the statis quo of the times the Nirvana songs got to be ANNOYING noise. The guitar player, a very diverse and former shredder from the pop metal/heavy metal era was professional about it but I'd see him roll his eyes from time to time, because the music was what it was. Most of the crowd... of legal drinking age wasnt much into Nirvana. Just my personal observation.

But yes few of the old schoolers I know, regardless of the width of musical background were impressed with Nirvana as anything more than interesting with a few "alright" songs and leaned more to bands with at least an ounce of integrity. "Eat your cancer" oh please :erk:

Do you really think so ? From where I am it seemed they just had a cult following of popularity amounst high schoolers. I guess that might fit your next statement I saved in the quote. But the entire "grunge" movement was that way. Pearl Jam was all to die for, AIC had their fans and same with Sound Garden. Candlebox was greatly successful, part of the Seattle "scene" and somewhat shuned by die hard grunge wanna be hippys... most likely avid followers of Kobain.

Gen X consisted of much more than highschoolers, and Nevermind appealed to much more than just Gen X. Do you really not remember how huge Smells Like Teen Spirit was? And sure Pearl Jam were huge as well, they were probably the most successful grunge band numbers wise, because their music was more "safe". But it was Nirvana who broke through first.

I'd have to say he was far from a savior of music and could only be touted so by the less musically inclined. There was an interview in Guitar player where he made some statement similiar to enjoying playing out of tune and not practicing. I dont have the artical anymore so I cant give accurate quote. Once again I will say he did write some decent songs, but then I did sound for a successful local cover act in the early mid 90's and they played a few Nirvana songs as well as the rest of the statis quo of the times the Nirvana songs got to be ANNOYING noise. The guitar player, a very diverse and former shredder from the pop metal/heavy metal era was professional about it but I'd see him roll his eyes from time to time, because the music was what it was. Most of the crowd... of legal drinking age wasnt much into Nirvana. Just my personal observation.

Well obviously he wasn't the saviour of music, I don't think you could throw that title at anyone and make it stick. And regarding Cobain's playing abilities, he came from a punk background so playing perfectly and in tune was obviously not super high on his priority list, and it's part of what gave their music character imo, same as with most punk rock.

But yes few of the old schoolers I know, regardless of the width of musical background were impressed with Nirvana as anything more than interesting with a few "alright" songs and leaned more to bands with at least an ounce of integrity. "Eat your cancer" oh please :erk:

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Some friends of yours thought Nirvana were just alright? Ok great. Some friends of mine thought Nirvana were excellent and had plenty of integrity, how about that eh?

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Some friends of yours thought Nirvana were just alright? Ok great. Some friends of mine thought Nirvana were excellent and had plenty of integrity, how about that eh?

I was speaking about the people I knew/know that are musicians of various sorts, as well as the response to certain songs by the crowd in the bar scene. As I implied in my first post, not my cup of tea or anyone else I know. Yet the other bands I mentioned were more appreaciated, like STP to name another.

Actually now that Im thinking back more, there was more than Nirvana going on at that time. Beside the bands I mentioned there was say "Spin doctors" who were putting some funk into the rock. How about the broader success of Country ? I suppose rap as well. Many Gen Xers becoming Deadheads. The early 90's was also when many of todays most successful progressive heavy metal bands cut their teeth. So by this I have to agree with comments made that Nirvana was made out to be bigger than they really were, in their nitch maybe, outside of that they were noteworthy... for many things.

I do follow what you are saying though, I just dont get the cartwheel thing revolving around Nirvana, supposed "anti hero" yet there seems to be the opposite reaction by fans, increased because, oh no Kurt couldnt take it and killed himself. "I hate myself and wanna die" great !

So excellent... integrity... your friends?... yeah... how about that.... ;)

:D

Can you provide some examples of guitar riffs that he blatantly ripped off other bands?

A good one is the "Come As Your Are" riff, which is directly lifted from "Eighties" by Killing Joke, which happens to be one of my favorite songs. In fact, Killing Joke took him to court over it, but decided to drop the case later. It's not too shocking that they were mentioned in his journals as a band that he liked.

Also, I don't think he was ever regarded as a really good guitar player.

Among other publications and unofficial music lists, he's listed as the 12th greatest in Rolling Stone and they also recognized the solo in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the 10th greatest ever. Given how popular this magazine is and how influential it is on some of its readers, I'd say many people would probably also name him as one of the greatest.