Noob could need help with slap bass

Fr0zen

Mar 13, 2011
Germany
Hey guys,

currently im struggling with the balance of drums and bass on the track below. It's a track of my band and we all are pretty inexperienced with recording/mixing/mastering, so please dont expect much :D.

I guess there are many things to improve, but my main concern is the slap bass guitar sound. I think my ears are fucking with me, yesterday i thought it was way too sub heavy and reduced it a bit, today i think it lacks balls and is too quite.

I highpassed the kick (slate kick 15) at 50 Hz and made 2 cuts at 180 and ~600 Hz.

The bass is highpassed at about 75 Hz with a narrow cut at the kicks center frequency and is boosted some around the 100 Hz. Additionally i high shelfed it around 2,5 kHz to let it shine a bit more. There is a good amount of compression on the bass (~ 10db GR), and a little bit of RBass.

I would really appreciate your opinion on this, or even the whole mix. Im gonna provide Stems if anyone is interested!

Ok, here we go...

Oh and i forgot: ITS NO BROOTALZ UBERMETAL(but it grooves ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so loud it's overwhelming the whole song, but I consider the vocals the most important part (mainly because you really want to be able to make out the words). I'm thinking something along the lines of 1dB, 2dB max drop in volume.

On the other hand, it's probably more preference (like I said, I think vocals are most important), and if it's only automated louder in the verses I think it would work well. It is very balanced IMO, more of a case of what's in front. The bass part IS pretty interesting, so I can see why you want it loud :)

No really. Like I said, I prefer vocals to be the loudest thing (for lyrics I guess), so I would turn the bass down just a little bit, but it's preference.