circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Norma Jean – O God, the Aftermath
Solid State Records – TND75392 – March 1st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

normaj.jpg

The metal gods have loved me recently; they’ve sent releases by bands such as Epoch of Unlight, Novembers Doom, Buried Inside, and now Norma Jean. O God, the Aftermath chronologically follows 2002’s Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child, which was a chaotic hardcore outing that was never content to stay in the same place for more than a few seconds at a time. What’s changed, you ask? Well, for starters, former lead singer – Josh Scogin – left the group and forged The Chariot, so the guys obviously picked up a new leader. Moreover, O God, the Aftermath sees the band move into a groove-oriented mindset that simply wasn’t present on their last excursion. Thankfully, this opus is superior to anything that resides in their discography.

This time around, the band still have a penchant for chaotic-sounding instrumentation, but the compositions are held together much better, as if there are invisible tendons in place. “Murderotica: An Avalanche in ‘D’ Minor” utilizes riffs-o-plenty (1:20 minute mark, et al) while the vocalist spits typical what’s-he-saying screams. The latter juxtaposes his heavy vocals with everyman, clean vocalizations once in a while as well. “Vertebraille: Choke That Thief Called Dependence” contains a lot of mosh-worthy moments, as does “Bayonetwork: Vultures in Vivid Color.” Unsettling extravaganza reigns at the beginning of “Dilemmachine: Coalition, Hoax” with Spitfire-esque stuff knifing through the commencement of “Coffinspire: Multitudes, Multitudes in the Valley of Decision.” “Liarsenic: Creating a Universe of Discourse” isn’t vastly different from its predecessors, though “Disconnecktie: The Faithful Vampire” starts lightly and is much more brooding than I expected it to be. The latter has a spectacular build-up, and is perhaps the most accessible track because of its overt simplicity. “Absentimental: Street Clam” follows then transitions to the groove-heavy “Charactarantula: Talking to You and the Intake of Glass.” “Pretendeavor: In Reference to a Sinking Ship” is where the clean vox are most noticeable. “Scientifiction: I. A Clot of Tragedy / II. A Swarm of Dedication” is back at the grindstone, figuratively speaking, and I love the choppy rhythms that punctuate the first few minutes.

If you haven’t jumped on the Norma Jean bandwagon, now is the time to do so. O God, the Aftermath is their best work to date, and I’m sure Solid State Records is going to have a difficult time releasing something better than this in 2005. Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. And, be sure to check UM in the forthcoming weeks for some exclusive Norma Jean content…

9/10

Official Norma Jean website
Official Solid State Records website