Northern Kings HOLY FUCK

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Symphonic power metal covers of songs like "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Kiss From a Rose" by Finnish all-stars (lineup info here). I'm listening to "Don't Stop Believin'" and it's so fucking awesome; they keep the same vocal melody, but use the relative minor of the key to make it metal, and HOLY FUCK :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, although they ruined "Rebel Yell", and "In the Air Tonight" isn't much better (whoever's singing it has a ridiculous accent, and that's compared to Phil no less :lol: )

And Tony Kakko? Oh I see, you didn't mention him cuz he's the best by far :D (I've never even heard anything by the other guys before this, but no one can ever touch Tony or Sonata IMO!)

And Tony Kakko? Oh I see, you didn't mention him cuz he's the best by far :D (I've never even heard anything by the other guys before this, but no one can ever touch Tony or Sonata IMO!)

Is Tony the Sonata singer? He's also great, but I can't stand their music; with the exception of 'Caleb' which is a fucking awesome song with AWESOME vocals.

Have to admit Tony and Marco are the only two I've heard of from the lineup, I like Tony, but I can't say I've ever been a fan of Marco as a vocalist (as a bass player I like him a lot). I may check this out later.

Jarkko Ahola's band Teräsbetoni (Finnish for "reinforced concrete", literally steel concrete), which is this really awful Manowar-ripoff that got really big in 2005 with a hitsong called "Taivas lyö tulta". Teräsbetoni was actually representing Finland in the Eurovision 2008 with this awful song:

The original Don't Stop Believin' is THA CLASSIC (Love every single note Journey ever recorded)and Kiss From a Rose is a beautiful song (I love Seal's work too). The covering territory is a dangerous place and Sonata Arctica had some good and some lame results doing it in the past. That being said, the results to me are: DSB = good, KFAR = lame.
Got to say: Marco's voice is amazing... anywhere :worship:

Is Tony the Sonata singer? He's also great, but I can't stand their music; with the exception of 'Caleb' which is a fucking awesome song with AWESOME vocals.

Oh man dude, I dunno how you can like Caleb but not the rest of their stuff; I mean Caleb is great, but they are seriously one of my all-time favorite bands, here's one of TONS of amazing numbers, the chorus is one of the greatest I've ever heard IMO!