Novembers Doom... why not more love from the Opethian faithful?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
There are some bands that seem destined to wallow in relative obscurity. "Relative" being the key word here. In this case, I view the level of obscurity to be relative to the band's talent level and relative to similar bands, who have reached greater heights. Enter Novembers Doom...

While I'm not attempting to compare the two bands, there are some clear similarities between Novembers Doom and Opeth...
  • both bands released their first CD in 1995
  • in my estimation, the two bands feature the two finest death/clean vocalists in Metal
  • both bands feature superb musicianship
  • both bands write dark, poetic lyrics
Stylistically, both bands operate in the same head space, without ever sounding like one another. So it would seem to me, that anyone who loves Opeth, would most likely enjoy Novembers Doom. I'm not suggesting they would favor Novembers Doom... merely that they would enjoy their music. There's an old saying... "a rising tide lifts all boats". Yet, the tidal wave Opeth has created, has seemingly had little impact on Novembers Doom. Again, I find that odd. When people discover a band as wonderful as Opeth, they typically seek out bands who are somewhat similar in style. However, a quick search on this forum, shows not a single thread about Novembers Doom's music.

Having posted in this forum since 2001, I fully appreciate how rabid and devoted the forum's members can be towards Opeth. So, I'm certainly not looking to start a debate or a flame war. I'm simply curious as to why more Opeth fans haven't shown Novembers Doom more love. Similar to how I would expect anyone who had a copy of In Flames' Jester Race in their CD collection would also have had a copy of Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery, I would think anyone who has a copy of Blackwater Park, should also have a copy Novembers Doom The Pale Haunt Departure.

Again.. not looking for a flame war, I'm just just curious... where's the love for Novembers Doom?

Zod

Note... if anyone hasn't checked out Novembers Doom or hasn't done so in a while, you can hear a new song, "Empathy's Greed", from the forthcoming Into Night's Requiem Infernal at this location.

Although they've fallen off my playlist for about the 2 last years .... the band rules and the guys are great people. I'll have to check out the newer stuff. Great Band.

Hm, it's been a little bit since I listened to them. I remember generally liking them but I didn't feel that their dynamics and songwriting were at the level of Opeth. I do have one of their albums that I suppose I should play again one of these days.

I listen to Novembers Doom but there's big differences.

Firstly, Paul Kuhr's clean voice is good but he usually just sings monotone doom metal vocals when he's not growling, something not everyone likes. Mikael's singing is more...just traditional singing.

Secondly, Novembers Doom doesn't even touch Opeth in terms of riff complexity or acoustic passage complexity; not to say that the simple chords they always use sound bad, but when you only use simple chords, there's less room for different songs to be unique.

Thirdly, Opeth does a lot more solos; I listen to Tool even more than Opeth so I'm not saying I need some full volume guitar solos to keep me interested, but with Opeth's and ND's genre, the epic feeling a great guitar solo gives you really helps the song as a whole. P.S. Drown the Inland Mere was the shit, including its solo.

One of my very favorite bands. I love them to bits, especially their last three records, simply stunning music. Songs like The Dead Leaf Echo and Leaving This are what metal is all about for me.

As I said... the point of this thread wasn't to suggest there aren't differences. Rather, there's enough common ground, that I would have expected a band like Novembers Doom to have benefited more than they have from Opeth's success.

Zod

I know you acknowledge there's differences, but the point of my post was really to show that all the differences favor Opeth for most listeners, making them much more successful.

I agree with the General's statements. It is curious. However, many metal sites are the same way in regards to Opeth and Novembers Doom. I've had people tell me "Opeth just patch together riffs, you know, this sounds good let's use it." and "Novembers Doom's guitar players don't do any lead work. And their music is too simple." IMO, those that feel this way, are really missing the boat with these two bands.

i could never get into them, i just found it uninteresting.

to offer a guess, i think maybe the people who dont like ND are the same people for whom opeth is the heaviest band they listen to. or perhaps it just is not interesting enough to hold their attention.

There are some bands that seem destined to wallow in relative obscurity. "Relative" being the key word here. In this case, I view the level of obscurity to be relative to the band's talent level and relative to similar bands, who have reached greater heights. Enter Novembers Doom...

While I'm not attempting to compare the two bands, there are some clear similarities between Novembers Doom and Opeth...
  • both bands released their first CD in 1995
  • in my estimation, the two bands feature the two finest death/clean vocalists in Metal
  • both bands feature superb musicianship
  • both bands write dark, poetic lyrics
Stylistically, both bands operate in the same head space, without ever sounding like one another. So it would seem to me, that anyone who loves Opeth, would most likely enjoy Novembers Doom. I'm not suggesting they would favor Novembers Doom... merely that they would enjoy their music. There's an old saying... "a rising tide lifts all boats". Yet, the tidal wave Opeth has created, has seemingly had little impact on Novembers Doom. Again, I find that odd. When people discover a band as wonderful as Opeth, they typically seek out bands who are somewhat similar in style. However, a quick search on this forum, shows not a single thread about Novembers Doom's music.

Having posted in this forum since 2001, I fully appreciate how rabid and devoted the forum's members can be towards Opeth. So, I'm certainly not looking to start a debate or a flame war. I'm simply curious as to why more Opeth fans haven't shown Novembers Doom more love. Similar to how I would expect anyone who had a copy of In Flames' Jester Race in their CD collection would also have had a copy of Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery, I would think anyone who has a copy of Blackwater Park, should also have a copy Novembers Doom The Pale Haunt Departure.

Again.. not looking for a flame war, I'm just just curious... where's the love for Novembers Doom?

Zod

Note... if anyone hasn't checked out Novembers Doom or hasn't done so in a while, you can hear a new song, "Empathy's Greed", from the forthcoming Into Night's Requiem Infernal at this location.

Opeth > ND

What Lateralus said. Who wants to listen to similiar bands just for the sake that they are similiar. I'm not saying that Novembers Doom aren't any good - but I don't think they are as quite 'top shelf', if you get what I mean. It's good enough, but at this point I only really want stuff that really excites me.

I would say that Novembers Doom have received a boost from Opeth interest as well. I remember a thread on 'Band Similiar To Opeth' or something along those lines and it included - along with the usual suspects like Katatonia and Porcupine Tree - stuff like Novembers Doom, Novembre and Daylight Dies.

I'd say The Pale Haunt Departure is the best place to start.

i have this album and i really don't like it :mad:
this has a few good songs(and an amazing cover pic!) but nothing more to offer.i think the diffrence between opeth and november's doom is the talent..