O/T: Don't You Love Paying For A Service You Don't Get??

bRaTpRiNcEsS

Feb 4, 2002
Past the Point of Caring
Visit site
High-speed internet, what a crock of shit. It costs a fortune every month, and they can have "an outage in your area" whenever it seems to fit. Even though it is less of a pain in the ass than dial-up, for me dial-up never had any outages. I think Cox sucks ass. Actually, my problem is more with Cox than with high-speed internet in general, because I also get my cable and phone through them, because of the fact that they weaseled their way into getting the contract from my apartment complex and that's all you can get because they wired it up when the buildings were being built. Cox likes to do things like take my phone payment and put it on my cable account, and then send me a disconnect notice on my phone. Even though I went to the office and handed the money to a person and they gave me a receipt with my phone account number on it. They also charged me for a network card that they never installed, and some stupid bitch told me that they'd have to charge me for a service call to come out and switch from USB to network, and then some other guy told me he could do it right from the office and no one had to come out. You have to talk to five different people before you can get what you want, and their idea of compensation is a $9.99 credit for weeks and weeks of their bullshit. I love Cox Communications as much as Thra:rofl:ude loves the Postal Service. :lol:

Okay, I am done now...

i have bellsouth dsl and i've had problems, but mostly because the house i used to live in had a messed up phone line. now i live in an apartment and have little problem. i get disconnected on occasion, but not often. i've never had outages or problems other than that. if you can get bellsouth dsl at your apartment i suggest you go with it. the upload isn't blazing, about 1/4Mbps, but the download is 1.5Mbps.

The only DSL choice here (that I know of) is Qwest/MSN, and believe it or not, they are about 100 times WORSE. They had to give us free dial up because they never sent our DSL modem. we waited almost six months, talked to probably every damn person who works for both companies, and we got absolutely nowhere, even after calling the Attorney General and BBB. It was such a mess. But in this apartment, the only company we can use is Cox for cable, phone and Internet. While I don't miss Qwest for phone, I could live without that many utilities coming from the same place. They just need some electric lines and they'll have a monopoly, which scares me, given how incompetent they are. Oh well.

yea, i know what you mean about qwest. the few comments i have heard about them in the past are all negative. suck that you are in that situation. i also understand the monopoly thing. our local cable company has one on the area market. if i want cable tv or modem i only have that one choice. their service is good from what i've heard, but the highest speed they have is only .8Mbps which is seems relatively slow compared to what cable is capable of. oh well. i do hope that things get better with your service though. also you can go to www.dslreports.com to post or read about users experience with broadband. it's a pretty helpful site.