Obtest

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Anyone else heard these guys. I like their albums more and more each time I listen to them, which is only building my anticipation for their new one this year.

I really think a lot of you like 'em. Thrash metal, with kind of a Pagan (their from Lithuania, I believe) sound, with of course, melody throw in.

Nothing like Skyforger, if that's what you're thinking.

When I bought my Negura Bunget from Flo at DemonicHorde, she threw in a bunch of flyers where one of them was for Obtest. The write up was really interesting, but their release was only available on 1000 pressing on vinyl. I've always been interested though...

THey have a bunch of vinyl releases, I believe. But they also have two full length CDs, which are quite great, and they aren't too terribly hard to find.

I know a bunch of you like the thrashy stuff, so I really think you guy might like them.

Sounds interesting, I must say... *runs off to do some research*

Cool photo!

7103_photo.gif
Faggots! Just cos you think Def Leppard and Motley Crue are Metal!

Hmmm...do Lithuanian videos work on PAL systems? :loco:

anyone check out Obtest CDs based on HC 2 1/2 years after I recommended them?

i love all three

Honestly, I never liked the samples I heard before HC2.

Then I saw them perform at HC2 and I did a 180. Same with Mael Mordha. As good as these bands might be on CD, it's not even close to the live performance.

So anyway, I'd like to get some Obtest now. I was close to buying the beautiful digibook edition of their last album for $18 at HC2 but I chickened out. So Climb Thar Hill bought it instead because he has balls made of iRon and steele. And then I discovered only the band sell this digibook and so it's a collectable.

I think I liked Obtest from the get-go just because they are Lithuanian. lol

but I've always liked em. and after seeing them at HCII, I will forever get a hard-on when hearing them.

I've got 'Is Kartos I Karta', and really enjoy it - some great, catchy melodies and a nice driving pace. Are Mael Mordha similar? Might check them out too.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm an idiot - just saw the Mael Mordha recommendation thread and realised I listened to them last year and quite liked them... Damn, I've got a shitty memory.

New album of OBTEST to be recorded in a famous Polish studio

The most well known Lithuanian pagan metal band is ready for a new jump for quality. New target, idea and aim is to record next album in a fully professional and worldwide metal scene acclaimed studio.
Ledo Takas has got in touch with Hertz studio in Bialystok yet last year, but it was not until this April that studio was available to use, since it already had a long schedule far ahead. So, after this patient wait for one year, Lithuanians are starting their session in the middle of this coming April.
OBTEST guitar player Sadlave claims: "It will be a very serious challenge for a band, and so far it is quite hard to foresee the end result, as we are used to a sound we create ourselves, but it's the very time to resolve for this step – OBTEST have matured for new heights."
New album of pagan metallers has both name and concept already – "Gyvybes Medis" ["The Tree of Life"]. All music and most of the lyrics for it are already written. Apart the title track, some other titles include: "Šviesa" ["Light"], "Apeigos" ["Ceremonial"], "Tai Ne Pabaiga" ["It's Not The End"]...
Hertz studio has got its cult status thanks to two brothers – Wojtek and Slawek Wieslawski, who are the main engines of it all. Such bands as Decapitated, Hate, Crionics, Devilyn, Hell-Born, Parricide, Dies Irae, Trauma, and legendary Vader have been using the skills of the two. None other but Vader are working in Hertz right now, with their new recording of old classics, and right after them – in April – studio is occupied by OBTEST.
"We are really glad that OBTEST will record their new album in our studio. We wait for them and we are ready for new challenge!" – Wojtek Wieslawski comments on a new cooperation.
"You can compare recording session in Hertz studio with a sports world: shift to a new league is never easy and implicit, yet it always inspires. New songs of OBTEST are indeed of unusual vigour, so it would be a shame if it would lose part of its charm due to limited sound quality. Hertz mostly works with death metal sounding bands, yet there is not a single reason to doubt the competence of brothers Wieslawski. I am sure that joined team of Polish sound engineers and Lithuanian musicians will reach a very good result" – unhesitates Ledo Takas label chief Tadas Kazlauskas.
So far it's difficult to say if album mastering will also be accomplished in Hertz or some other studio – it will depend on how recording session will progress.
OBTEST album "Gyvybes Medis" is planned to be released in the fall of 2007.
:kickass:

havent heard it. i didnt find the third one to have much lasting power, though the first two are ace. anyone want to trade me something for the third one, I Kartos Is Carton or something?

I picked up an Obtest 7" Pic EP from Supernal (blah) awhile ago. Was alright. The last song was very memorable, being a kind of acoustic jam accompanied by warm distortion and hearty vocals, followed by a drawn out solo. The rest was forgettable but decent pagan metal - lots of lead guitar melody.

Sadly all I've heard of them though.