obZen Remastered

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm really fond of this album. Musically, it's one of my favourites of all time.

Yet, I rarely ever listen to it, largely on account of the mix being so thin and grating on the ears. Realizing that it's been 6 years since this record came out, with no remix of any kind in sight, I thought to do the next best thing. I remastered the entire record for my own listening collection. The outcome was more drastic than expected, so I uploaded one of my favourite tracks for other people that might be interested!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8HkFpQ6Pw&list=PLjMVib7AdoUtJ5295Dthb4V3nAnONSyXk[/ame]

If you like the direction it's taken, please 'like' the video and share it with your friends. Maybe if we hit a critical mass we might one day see this album redone properly!

HE_b70ebc_2575317.jpg

I dunno, fixing it so the low end is better balanced just gives way to exposing the poor tonal choices for some of the upper mid mix components that are unfixable even if they are EQ'd back.

Glad it's resonated well with a lot of people. To answer the question from before, this wasn't done with stems or the original mixes. It was done on top of the original master of the songs.

Here's a second song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everyone else has said, it sounds awesome. The guitars in the original mix had way too much high-end harshness without any low-end weight or tone definition, and this adds some of that back in. It also reduces the degree to which the high end of the guitars mixes with the cymbals in the original, at least on my headphones. You can also hear the bass grit better now. Well done :kickass: And on a side note, I would think that mastering on top of a master would wreck a mix, but apparently not haha.

In your vagina.

Op, I don't understand, is this eq/compression only, or what other processes are involved?