Octavia Sperati - Grace Submerged

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Octavia Sperati - Grace Submerged
Candlelight Records - CDL330 - May 22, 2007
By George Grant

OctaviaSperati.jpg

A band from Bergen, Norway, which is produced by Arve Isdal of Enslaved, must be black metal, right? Nope. With their second album, Grace Submerged, Octavia Sperati plays whimsical doom metal with a rock and roll edge. Before I even heard the album I was apprehensive. It seemed to me that the label was pushing the gender of this sextet, of which five are female, and really trying to use that as a marketing ploy. Because of this I believed the music would be commercial rock with a metal production. Boy was I wrong.

Octavia Sperati really can play. Their heavy doom riffs will no doubt draw some comparisons to Black Sabbath. The mid-tempo rock and roll side of the music also reminded me of Enslaved’s most recent album. Even the bass guitar tone seems to be lifted from Ruun. Considering that Mr. Isdal produced this album, it shouldn’t come as a great surprise.

Although, one surprise I couldn’t shake was with the drum production. Usually, overly processed drums are the norm for major label releases. However, Octavia Sperati have chosen a more raw and realistic sound to the drums. Don’t expect clicking bass drums to be flooding your speakers on this release. Also, Mr. Isdal isn’t the only Norwegian black metal musician to sink his teeth into the project. Morfeus, of Limbonic Art fame, offers his patented eerie keyboards to a few tracks. Since I’m a huge Limbonic Art fan, this was a plus in my book.

The vocal work of Silje is another strong part of the album. In contrast to the heavy doom music, Silje offers a soothing voice which is reminiscent of Christina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. Silje's harmonizing really takes the music to another level. Although she seems to stay within a similar range throughout, the music easily saves the album from seeming stagnant.

This release does have its set backs though. The ballad, 'Don’t Believe A Word,' is a serious low point on the album. Just as the band had settled into their groove, they throw the ballad in and totally ruin the momentum. The song seems like filler for the album. Also, overall I don’t feel the album has much replay value. Sure, the riffs are strong and well complemented with melodies; it’s just that the music lacks depth. There’s no hidden passages or touches to the songs to make me want to go back and hear the album again. Everything can be absorbed at face value.

If you need a quick fix of some well executed doom rock with soothing female vocals, then Octavia Sperati is for you. However, if you want to dig deep into some music it’d probably be best to look elsewhere.

Official Octavia Sperati Website
Official Candlelight Records Website