circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Octavia Sperati – Winter Enclosure
Candlelight Records – CDL159 – June 14th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

37-100x100.jpg

All right, let’s get all the crap out of the way first: Octavia Sperati is an all-female band with good-looking members, Winter Enclosure is their thirty-six minute debut album, the latter is gothic metal with hints of doom in place, and they sound similar to a more dreary, heavier Lacuna Coil sans male vocals. Oh, and another thing, I have no idea what Octavia Sperati means, nor do I care. With that said, I wasn’t significantly affected by the ladies’ efforts on this particular outing.

Mostly, the female quintet is content to lace their compositions with distorted guitars, ambient synths, and melancholic vox. Unfortunately, there are no growls to be found on Winter Enclosure, and I’m definitely a fan of multiple, vocal takes unless the front(wo)man is incredibly – albeit superhumanly – mesmerizing. Wergeland’s dreamy-yet-dejected musings are well done but, like I said, I would’ve preferred some differentiation. “Hymn” is an interlude that’s mundane, but more often than not the girls’ abilities are realized in numbers such as “Lifelines of Depth,” “Future Is,” and “Wasted on the Living.” The opening melody in the latter is barely reminiscent of Amorphis, and at times the band cross into Nightwish’s musical territory. The sadness is magnified on “Without Air (Before),” which segues into “Without Air (After).” Wergeland is at her best on the aforementioned tracks, and the use of piano is just brilliant. It’s too bad that the rest of Winter Enclosure is laid to waste by the “Without Air” twins.

Though I have no reservations admitting that Octavia Sperati trump acts like Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, that argument probably won’t convince you to go out and hunt down the group’s debut. After all, being better than current, female-fronted gothic metal troupes is not an insurmountable task nowadays. These chicks (sorry feminists) have flashed me their talent with this release, and I’m subsequently optimistic about their future. Now, I guess the only thing left to do is schedule a face-to-face interview.

7/10

Official Octavia Sperati Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I would say this is one of the best female fronted bands I've heard. They possess the ability to be really dark, yet accessable, it reminds me what would have happened if Madder Mortem were to continue writing melencholic music (with a pinch of heaviness)after their debut, without totally changing their style. They are no where near the commercial tendencies of Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, etc... To my ears, this sounds more doom than anything. Great vocals, tight musicianship, nice sound, strong songs - sadly not too many of these type of bands around, Norway wins again.