OD Shootout soon, anyone want to lend some units?

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I am going to do a mass OD pedal shootout soon, testing pedals for boosting amps for the über metal tones. So far the units that I have at my disposal are:

OD:
Maxon OD820
Maxon OD808
Digitech Bad Monkey
MXR GT-OD

Dist:
Japan HM-2 Heavy Metal (Entombed/Dismember)
MT-2 Metalzone (Cannibal Corpse)
Digitech Metal Master

If you have an OD that you would like to add to the list, then contact me via PM, and we'll set this up, each pays shipping one way.

All pedals will be tested with my 5150 and Boogie OS cab. If you are in the greater Jersey area and have an amp to lend me for the shootout to make it even more well rounded, that would be greatly appreciated, and just a really cool thing to do. If needed, I can provide character references who can vouch that I would not intentionally rip you off or take/break your things in the short time that I possess them should you decide to contribute.

Bump. I'd like to add an OCD to the list as well, if anyone is willing to lend theirs.

You can contact me through the forum, or through AIM or MSN that I've just added to my UMF account.

Don't forget this little gem... The Nobels ODR-1.

So nice, I'm going to be picking one up as soon as I get a new amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can include some of the vst plugs as well. I've been using the tse 808 through my 5150 and I've always wondered how much of a benefit there would be of a hardware ts. If you want pm me the DIs and I could run them through podfarm and the tse plug

I could contribute:

-Modded Boss BD-2
-Ibanez tube king (older model)
-MXR classic overdrive
-Seymore Duncan twin tube

I would almost rather not though because that stupid ibanez and seymore duncan are not light and would have to ship the psu with them.

Edit, yeah never mind don't want to contribute.

If you can include some of the vst plugs as well. I've been using the tse 808 through my 5150 and I've always wondered how much of a benefit there would be of a hardware ts. If you want pm me the DIs and I could run them through podfarm and the tse plug

Sure, why not. I am most likely going to use the Lasse/Mago DI pack, so if you have that downloaded then you can process them and send them to me.

In other news, I just ordered both a vintage MT-2 and a Japan HM-2. We could easily extend this comparison to distortion units as well, I'll just separate the results into two categories.

Alright cool How should I set the gain, level and tone knobs?

Wherever it sounds best, that's what I'm going to do with the hardware units, especially the few that I've never used before. I don't use software OD's so I don't know how to dial them. And to be honest I kind of really suck at dialing amp sims, can't do it to save my life, but hardware amps are different for me. Guess the gain knob is the most important, set the tone for juicy clean boost. That's what I usually aim for, not completely clean, but not too hairy. Peach fuzz.

Hardware wise, I would like to see a stock Blues Driver and OCD (whatever version) make the list as well, but that's me. I only ask because I think this might be a good forum resource for people in the market for a boosting pedal.

I only threw the MT2 out there because Cannibal Corpse uses it with the Tri-Recto as a boost.

No worries. I actually ordered the MT-2 even before you mentioned it. I've been wanting one for like black metal extreme tones, or like you said, Cannibal Corpse tone. I used to have the Recto to go along with it, but now I've just got the 5150. Should be close enough... ish.

It's hard to tell without the amp but almost all the time I just max the volume, gain is down, and tone at 12 o'clock

my friends did little OD shootout couple of weeks ago.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ssot8PSRI&feature=g-vrec&context=G247d06eRVAAAAAAAAAw[/ame]

Here's an update. I just secured the GT-OD as well, so all of the units in the original post are safe bets for the shootout. I am still waiting on someone to ship the Bad Monkey, but I hope to have the shootout started by the end of the month. I would like to see an OCD and Blues Driver make this shootout as well, maybe a Sparkle Drive or Blackstar HT Drive, the Nobels sounds interesting as well, but my wallet is all pedal'ed out for the time being, anyone else want to contribute?

I know that there are lots of pedal shootouts on the web, but I am going to do this one up a bit, because I'm thickheaded like that... I am going to dial each pedal so that it sounds its personal best, use known good DI's, record clearly, and post full mixes. The point being that it's not so much a guitar tone thing, but more of using a certain pedal to fit the mix. Like from the engineer's standpoint. There is a lot of talk about certain pedals sounding good by themselves, but get lost in the mix, and I hope to root this out and come to the truth by pitting all of the most popular units against one another. Let's shoot for the end of the month as a deadline.