Oden?

Pyaemia

In Thor we trust
Mar 21, 2003
Quebec,Canada
Anybody knows why AA always use Oden instead of Odin? What runes would be use in the writting of is name? Instead of having a picture of Odin tattooed on me Id rather have is name. 4 runes would fit quite nicely on my forearm.

either is acceptable, you have to remember, the old norse didn't use the letters I or E as we do in english, just corresponding sounds, so in translation, one must choose which letter to use in such a way as we can pronounce it close to correctly. Oden, Odin, both pronounced the same. Loke, Loki, both proounced the same. i think some prefer to use the E because it looks a tad more "old world"

Thrymfal said:
either is acceptable, you have to remember, the old norse didn't use the letters I or E as we do in english, just corresponding sounds, so in translation, one must choose which letter to use in such a way as we can pronounce it close to correctly. Oden, Odin, both pronounced the same. Loke, Loki, both proounced the same. i think some prefer to use the E because it looks a tad more "old world"

Ok thanks... Id wanted to write 2 words on my forearms. One on each... Odin was one I was considering and maybe is wife on the other arm but i wasnt sure. Also thought about Hugin and Munin on each arm... (spelling?)

Pyaemia said:
Anybody knows why AA always use Oden instead of Odin? What runes would be use in the writting of is name? Instead of having a picture of Odin tattooed on me Id rather have is name. 4 runes would fit quite nicely on my forearm.

I would not tattoo runes on you if you are not familiar with the Runes. You may want to consult someone who is well versed in the runes first. Just a piece of advice!

mjollnir1965 said:
I would not tattoo runes on you if you are not familiar with the Runes. You may want to consult someone who is well versed in the runes first. Just a piece of advice!
Yeah, you really should do that ... they are not just ordinary letters, you know ...

As for the spelling: here in Germany it's spelled "Odin". Since in Sweden "i" is pronounced just like in Germany, I would think, that they write it the same, but I don't know for sure.

mjollnir1965 said:

blah blah blibbity blah phhhhhhhhttttttttbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at the ECT Alan!!!!!!!!!!

mjollnir1965 said:

I already know about the runes my friends. This is why Im insisting that a particular tattoo artist does it. Cause he knows about the runes too. For me, it was uncacceptable to get runes tattooed by someone who just saw them as "patterns". My friend doesnt seem to grasp that, but thats ok :)

I live in Canada and Im waiting for someone to go to a convention In Montreal whos from denmark www.tattoo.dk Colin dale is the name. Is art work is AMAZING!

I would hazard a guess that the "e" in Oden is a regional thing of Sweden, seeing that both AA and Bathory use the "Oden" variation. There are many ways of saying Odin - take Falkenbach for example. In his lyrics, Vratyas uses both "Wuotan" and "Odhinn". It depends on the area of Scandinavia and the time period how it is spelt.

edit: Another example is the Swedish (I think!) band Einherjer - in mythology it is spelt Einherjar.

The band is based in Sweden, my brother speaks Swedish and so do the other dudes (well, I think Olli is bilingual), and I suppose that's why it's Oden in the lyrics, rather than Odin. If you search the forum, you'll find that there's another thread like this that may explain it better... It has to do with geography and where you speak what language - the Nordic languages are not one and the same. As Feralim pointed out, the Saxons called him Wotan. It'd be just as correct to call him Othinn, if you were to do it phonetically from some runestones./T.