Off Topic: Hurricane's Kelly Hansen update

Andy Laudano

Feb 24, 2005
Ft Worth Texas
An earlier thread about Stryper brought up the old 80's band Hurricane. Two nights ago I saw Styx, Kansas and Foriegner play in Dallas. Lou Grahm has left Foreigner and Kelly Hansen is the new vocalist. Kansas was good, Styx was solid but HOLY SHIT FOREIGNER KICKED MY ASS!!! :OMG: They were 100 times better than they had any right to be! While Hansen isn't as good a singer as Grahm (IMO one of the best voices in R-N-R) he still sounded damn good and more than made up it with a high energy performance that saw him jump the barricade and head out into the crowd at one point. Plus their rhythm section consists of bassist Jeff Pilson (Dokken) and drummer Jason Bonham! Founder/guitarist Mick Jones seemed totally rejuvinated from the new blood in the band and it showed onstage. They stuck to the more upbeat songs in their catalog, "Long, Long Way From Home," "Double Vision," "Head Games," "Cold As Ice," "Feels Like the First Time," "Juke Box Hero" with a bit of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" thrown in the middle and only slowed down once to play one of my favorite songs from the first album, "Starrider" which was sung by Jones. They totally stole the show! If you get a chance to see them and you're on the fence about going because Grahm isnt with them, do yourself a favor and go!

Andy Laudano said:
If you get a chance to see them and you're on the fence about going because Grahm isnt with them, do yourself a favor and go!

Good to hear, because the last time I saw them with Graham...he just didn't have it and I was a bit let down. Looks like I'll be re-thinking this show! :Spin:

Anyone know how Lou is doing? I know that he battled brain cancer, and seemed to have it beaten, but haven't heard anything about his health in a couple of years, maybe.

TheWhisper said:
Anyone know how Lou is doing? I know that he battled brain cancer, and seemed to have it beaten, but haven't heard anything about his health in a couple of years, maybe.

I heard that Lou's doing fine. He has a solo band now and his voice sounds a lot better.

Andy Laudano said:
An earlier thread about Stryper brought up the old 80's band Hurricane. Two nights ago I saw Styx, Kansas and Foriegner play in Dallas. Lou Grahm has left Foreigner and Kelly Hansen is the new vocalist. Kansas was good, Styx was solid but HOLY SHIT FOREIGNER KICKED MY ASS!!! :OMG: They were 100 times better than they had any right to be! While Hansen isn't as good a singer as Grahm (IMO one of the best voices in R-N-R) he still sounded damn good and more than made up it with a high energy performance that saw him jump the barricade and head out into the crowd at one point. Plus their rhythm section consists of bassist Jeff Pilson (Dokken) and drummer Jason Bonham! Founder/guitarist Mick Jones seemed totally rejuvinated from the new blood in the band and it showed onstage. They stuck to the more upbeat songs in their catalog, "Long, Long Way From Home," "Double Vision," "Head Games," "Cold As Ice," "Feels Like the First Time," "Juke Box Hero" with a bit of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" thrown in the middle and only slowed down once to play one of my favorite songs from the first album, "Starrider" which was sung by Jones. They totally stole the show! If you get a chance to see them and you're on the fence about going because Grahm isnt with them, do yourself a favor and go!

Dude, I'll have to check this out then! I love Jason Bonham! I wasn't aware that he's drumming for them! Thanks man!

edgeofthorns said:
Dude, I'll have to check this out then! I love Jason Bonham! I wasn't aware that he's drumming for them! Thanks man!

Jason was awesome! Especially when they played "Whole Lotta Love" in the middle of "Juke Box Hero!" Also, if you're a big fan of his, he had autographed drum heads for sale that were really nice! They said "Best Wishes, J Bonham, Foreigner 05" but what really sold me was he drew his dad's symbol from the 4th Zeppelin album on it. I remember an interview with Robert Plant where he talked about the symbols and said that John Bonahm chose the trinity, the 3 interlocking circles because he was a big family man and they represented himself, his wife and Jason. I thought it was really cool and at only $20 I couldnt pass it up. Especially after a drummer in line behind me mentioned that those drum heads actually cost $13 anyway.

Jeff Pilson (from Dokken) was awesome too! He had a ton of energy and was all over the stage. He came over to the fence after soundcheck and signed all my Dokken CDs. He was the only one missing to complete them too. He's a really good guy.

Andy, it sounds like you had a great time. I've liked Jason ever since the Bonham debut, which was overlooked big time by the way! The last time I saw him was in the Rock Star movie, so it's good to know he's still active in the music business. Jeff Pilson was in that movie as well, so those two are most likely friends. They need to collaborate and do a project together if that's the case!

Foreigner had hit Chicago back in October, but since Mick Jones was the only original member listed, I didn't bother going. The only member that was even listed in the ad I saw was Jason Bonham. Granted, Bonham's a great drummer, but it wasn't enough to seal the deal for me. Now that I know that Hansen and Pilson were recruited, I'm kicking myself in the ass for passing on the show. Jeff Pilson always puts on a terrific show, and I discovered Hurricane over the past two years, so I'm dying to hear Kelly Hansen live. Damn it!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al