oh nice one.......

MEGALOUD

The Nightmare Has Begun..
We just got a note from Suspyre's manager (she found the newest of the reviews out there for Suspyre)

Here is a new review that was done by one of the progcafe.com DJs, and he got it posted on progressiveears.com which is a very heavily viewed site - so great exposure!
It is a nice review, too! Good job! ~jill

Suspyre - A Great Divide
Member: Windhawk (Profile) (All Album Reviews by Windhawk)
Date: 9/16/2007
Format: CD (Album)

Suspyre is a band based in New Jersey, USA; and A Great Divide is their second release. From what I understand their 2005 self-released debut album caused quite a buzz; which led the band to be signed by Nightmare records.

Musically Suspyre are, if not truly original, at least very imaginative. They have taken the big book about how to make music, read it thoroughly - and then decided to disregard as good as anything written in it. They experiment with song structures, styles, utilization of instruments, melodies - mostly anything. Still, this is not some atonal weird far out musical experiment. The songs contain melodies, verses, choruses, identifiable sounds and is generally highly listenable - this isn't an album that takes months and years to decipher before yielding musical pleasure for the listeners. What these guys do, is to combine prog metal with classical music; and spicing it with some jazz/fusion influences as well as a slight thrash flavoring. Resulting in many songs that moves from one to the other and back again of the above-mentioned styles, as well as combining two or more of them in sections; either directly mixing them together or inserting elements of some of the above-mentioned styles into others. Resulting in music with (most times) prog metal as the basic style, with songs seamlessly changing style, pace and sound a multitude of times from start to finish; fleshed out with some shorter atmospheric pieces.

As for musical influences; there's probably too many for anyone outside the band to find them all. Personally I heard elements that may have been inspired by artists such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Faith No More and John Williams; but mostly this band doesn't really sound like anyone else. As well as being technically highly skilled, these guys are excellent songwriters. There are a couple of songs on this release that for me sound like fillers; but mostly the songs here are extremely well written and performed, with an abundance of catchy and captivating songs throughout.

For me listening to this was a very enjoyable experience. I have a liking for good experimental music; and if this band continues making music as great as this, they may well end up becoming one of my big personal favorites in the field of artists disregarding musical boundaries - alongside Robin Taylor (jazz/prog) and Celtic Frost (thrash/metal).

My rating: 87/100