Old school death metal that sounds like...

Crapples

May 21, 2006
NSW, Australia
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours

Why has it taken me so long to appreciate this fucking incredible album? I need more stuff that sounds like this!

Nothing to obvious, please!

Cheers.

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation (already mentioned by someone) is as close as I can think of, without being just a second rate rip off ... well to be fair, nearly everything in comparison to early AtG is a second rate rip off, but that's a whole other discussion.

Just keep listening to Gardens of Grief, The Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness ... you can't go past it.

This is a genre within which I haven't found much that I like, so my recommendations may not hit the mark, but here goes:

I think that early In Flames was pretty highly respected, and may compare.

The Everdawn - Poems Burn the Past is an AtG - Slaughter of the Soul clone. Maybe not what you're looking for, but you may like it.

There is a melodic death metal band from Mexico called Buried Dreams that I like better than most in that genre. I have their Perceptions album.

Morpheus - Son of Hypnos bares some resemblence to ATG older material, I find at least.

Yeah, early In Flames. The first album is pretty good, but the best one would be the Subterranean EP. The sound is more similar to WFIKTBD than TRITSIO. Somewhere between WFIKTBD and Terminal Spirit Disease, more towards the burning darkness side, though. The first album is very similar to burning darkness, but doesn't feel derivative at all.

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours

Why has it taken me so long to appreciate this fucking incredible album? I need more stuff that sounds like this!

Nothing to obvious, please!

Cheers.
Same here, it took me a while to get into. Amazing stuff..