OLD SCHOOL METAL STYLE MIX FOR REVIEW!!!

Vocals definitely too loud, but otherwise, sounding really good over here!

Seriously, pull the vocals down... what he wants isn't what's best for the mix, obviously.

What was used for Gat's, by chance?

I like the mood and feel of your mix, nicely done!

Some things I noticed:

-Vocals are indeed loud, can't you trick the guy with some EQ? Boosting around 1KHz and put it down a little?

-Guitars could use some high end, but I think that's intensional to fit the style of music?

-I think the click of the kick doesn't really work in the mix. I can't really pinpoint what the problem is, it's in the click though. That's definitely my biggest "complaint" about this mix.

Nice work though! Love the feel.

Thanks guys! WHat would you think to do with the kick drums. Cut some high end? I have the high mids scooped and mids scoop and the hi's are up its sweeped at about 4kish. Maybe I'll pull some of the 4k out. hmmmmm.... I think the guitars could probably use a tad more high mids. once again hhmmmmm........

Its certainly not old school!!!!

It is a class sound though... I agree that the vocals are a bit loud and the kick seems quite clicky and stands out a bit around the 2 minute mark on the breakdown.

Sounds stunning though, Proper grind... who is it???

Why the vocals are too loud? I think they work very well in the mix. If you put down the vocals, with that growl, you ear nothing!
I think it's a good mix and the only thing you could do is to set a little the eq for a bit of clarity in the mix

Thanks for the input so far guys! Im a bit confused now on what do do with the vocals seeing how some say way to loud and others say just right, I guess the instict would be to tuck em back more just a bit.

Rez_brp said:
Its certainly not old school!!!!

It is a class sound though... I agree that the vocals are a bit loud and the kick seems quite clicky and stands out a bit around the 2 minute mark on the breakdown.

Sounds stunning though, Proper grind... who is it???

I told the band I wouldnt say who they were if I posted it.
By Old school style I meant, Sounds more like old Bolt Thrower, Morgoth, Old sweedish stuff, we were going for a more natural feel like back in the day. I agree the kicks could lose some click over all.:headbang:

vox sound fine to me yeah lose some click on the kick, and bring the drums up a bit, sounds like all guitars and bass over here. also sounds a bit dull as some have said.

John Haddad (Shiva Industries) said:
I told the band I wouldnt say who they were if I posted it.
By Old school style I meant, Sounds more like old Bolt Thrower, Morgoth, Old sweedish stuff, we were going for a more natural feel like back in the day. I agree the kicks could lose some click over all.:headbang:

Yeah I can definately smell a bit of Bolt Thrower in there! It was my misunderstanding of "old school" which seems to be used all the time for 80's thrash right now.

It definately floats my boat though so as soon as you get the all clear tell us who it is... I want more! :headbang:

Dude that sounds awesome, You got that early '90s underground sound. I love that sound, like Timat's "Clouds", Anathema's "serenades", My Dying Bride's "turn loose the swans", and old Amophis. My old singer and i once had an hour long disussion about how those records sounded. Raw but still clean and powerful. :kickass:

Where She Wept said:
Dude that sounds awesome, You got that early '90s underground sound. I love that sound, like Timat's "Clouds", Anathema's "serenades", My Dying Bride's "turn loose the swans", and old Amophis. My old singer and i once had an hour long disussion about how those records sounded. Raw but still clean and powerful. :kickass:

Thanks man! That is what were going for. Im trying to sound as analog and warm and verby as possible with out the cheese factor. The 10 min song Im working on now is f'ing mind blowing. So huge sounding so far I'll have it finished by tomorrow. I'll try and post it for you guys.:headbang:

yeah... :kickass:

the kick sounds more like the click track than a kick. maybe bring the kick click more in line with the toms

Where She Wept said:
Dude, i just listened to the other clip you posted. I wanna know who they are, or you have to sell me a disc when it's done!:worship:

I'll let you know when its finished they just asked me to keep it low pro till its finished, this here songs thread has since been touched up a great deal with a different kick drum sample, and gtrs have a bit more more grit too em. :kickass:

i think the drums(at least the kick/snare) should come up. the kicks need some body, they have too much click. the vocals sound ok, but i would turn them down very slightly. the guits sound thick and awesome, the could use the slightest amount of top end though.

the dude in your avatar (you?) looks like tre cool from greenday