circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Omnium Gatherum – Stuck Here on Snakes Way
Candlelight Records – CDL334 – April 3, 2007
By Jason Jordan

omniumgatherumshosw.jpg

Remember all the buzz that surrounded Finnish melodeath outfit Omnium Gatherum when they released Spirits and August Light a few years ago? Many people were anticipating the follow-up Years in Waste, as SaAL seemed a breath of fresh air for such an exhausted subgenre, but somewhere between their debut and sophomore effort they lost their touch, and instead delivered an underwhelming record that was understandably met with disappointment by fans and critics alike. As a result of their misstep, or maybe not, Omnium Gatherum now call Candlelight their home instead of Nuclear Blast. It’ll be interesting to see how metal connoisseurs react to Stuck Here on Snakes Way since it’s a decent, if unexciting, serving of melodic death that probably won’t be the band’s or subgenre’s saving grace.

I’ll admit the cover art is striking – sort of a mix between Katatonia’s Tonight’s Decision and Viva Emptiness – but their sound remains the same, which is to say it’s in line with a number of Swedish units like Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Soilwork, and fellow Finns Insomnium. ‘Into Sea’ is a quintessential melodeath tune: up-tempo, melody-filled, distortion-laden, keyboard-riddled, gruff vocal delivery, etc. Followers ‘Dysnomia,’ ‘A-Part of God,’ and ‘Undertaker’ aren’t too different, and are mildly enjoyable if taken lightly, or, in other words, expecting little innovation. Aside from the introduction ‘The Snake and the Way,’ Stuck Here on Snakes Way doesn’t alter its approach until the morose, Katatonia-like ‘Just Signs.’

At 45 minutes, the latest from Omnium Gatherum is simply competent. There’s nothing outstanding about Stuck Here on Snakes Way. It’s okay, but Insomnium’s Above the Weeping World is superior, which is the one I’d go with when in a melodeath mood.

Official Omnium Gatherum Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

At 45 minutes, the latest from Omnium Gatherum is simply competent. There’s nothing outstanding about Stuck Here on Snakes Way. It’s okay, but Insomnium’s Above the Weeping World is superior, which is the one I’d go with when in a melodeath mood.

i concur, didn't find it as amazing as it was being raved about.

Not to dig up an ancient review, but I have been spinning a lot of OG recently. What strikes me is that SHOSW is just so damn 'safe' and uneventful compared to their previous offerings. People often slander Years in Waste, but I think it is nearly as good as the debut and in some ways is even better (more complex and interesting use of melody, more engaging song structures while it still maintains that thick and omnipresent atmosphere from Spirits).

I think the general crappiness of SHOSW compared to its predecessors has a lot to do with two factors: (i) the new vocalist and (ii) the production. Many people really did not like Antti's vocals on the past two albums but I am of the opinion that his vox fit the band's sound and mystical atmosphere to a t. The new vocalist, Pelkonen while competent, simply does not have the same contributing aura that Antti's distinct approach necessarily had. The production also is less suited for the band's sound--I mean it sounds more organic and dirtier than the sheen of their past records (normally an approach that I would acclaim) but it simply does not suit the overarching sound of the band and basically sucks out any last remnants of their evocative atmosphere from the past full-lengths.

That being said, I am still hopeful that OG can return to the glory of their first two records with the one they are currently in the process of recording--but the realist in me keeps saying that such hope is illogical. Time will tell.