on mix cd-rs vs mix tapes

tar

you are the bullshit
Jan 7, 2003
the south
Visit site
mix cds are definitely the inferior animal. i find them particularly difficult to make (although i've only attempted one) because you don't really get to listen to a song as you;re recording it, and thus have no sense of "flow" from one song to the next. plus if you fuck up in the middle of it, there's no going back and changing anything. all in all, i wish the record function on my tape deck worked.

i think you might need better CD-R/mp3/aiff CD maker software. because you can listen to the stuff and also regulate the time gaps between tracks - which i find enhances the "flow" deal you speak of.

but fuck it. mixtapes are the far more glorious animal.

well, i do have software where i can do it, but since i have the possibility TO make the cds faster than it takes to listen to them, it became really tempting to do that. it took me the whole day anyway to choose the songs, but burning the cd took only 8 minutes.

while there is certainly something inherently special about the mix cassette, the mix cd has opened whole new realms of potential for those who choose to use it. cross-fades, loops, effects, and so on.

I use a combination of SoundForge (for editing) and Cakewalk Pyro 2003 (for mixing and burning)
for basic burning, I still use Nero. And Pyro is way slow, so I make one master for a mix and then do copies.

well, the last time nero fucked me up, i spent more than an hour twiddling with my registry so i could fully uninstall it and fix my computer. maybe i'll try it again one day...