One Man Metal: New Black Metal Documentary

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From http://www.bravewords.com/news/191262 :

Noisey and VICE present One Man Metal, a new three-part documentary aimed at the shadowy fringes of black metal that have never been documented... until now.

p178jhn6jg1qno4jg88913ai1s714.jpg

"We interviewed three enigmatic solo artists—LEVIATHAN, STRIBORG, and XASTHUR—who produce black metal on the margins of society. These are men who don’t just play the music, but embody what it reflects: isolation, misanthropy, and anger.

The documentary includes the first on-camera interview with Scott Connor, aka Xasthur, who crafts his bleak sounds from a crumbling apartment in the hinterlands of Los Angeles. We also explored the remote environs of rural Tasmania with Sin Nanna of Striborg, and finally traveled to San Francisco to speak with Jef Whitehead, aka Leviathan.

Now, One Man Metal sees the light of day, following a series of delays leading up to Whitehead’s 2011 conviction on one count of aggravated domestic battery."

Parts 1, 2 and 3 can be seen below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that dudes like this - especially Malefic from Xasthur - would agree to so much exposure.

After watching it, I'm still most intrigued by Scott Connor. I think he comes off as the most awkward (in an interesting way) person featured. I want to see more of this.

This is actually pretty well done. The most annoying part is the actual interviewer himself. I'm not a huge fan of any of the projects mentioned but it's a neat 'behind-the-scenes' look and any black metal documentary that isn't yet another rehash of Varg/Euronymous & co. gets a pass from me.

Looks interesting, but I'm still hoping that someone eventually makes a wine tasting DVD with Gaahl. That would be pure gold.

Thanks for continuing to provide these updates. As someone who is not really a fan of this type of metal, and as a generally happy sort, these glimpses into these misanthropic, self-imposed exiles are fascinating.