One of the best production jobs I have heard this year...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
The Black Crowes- Croweology

Every damn instrument has perfect audio level, mix, and clarity. The reverb off the nylon strings, the subtle punch of the bass, the crispness of the piano keys, the harmonica tone...all of it.

I say that with the proclamation that I am by no means an audiophile. I just know what I like.

"Shake Your Money Maker" and "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" are their two biggest releases. Both contain the majority of what you hear on the radio. It's good, fun bluesy rock with a melodic hook. They have recently evolved into more of a hardcore bluesy rock, jam type band. Their popularity has decreased, but the muscianship is tighter than ever.

I actually think they are an even better live band. "Freak 'n' Roll...Into the Fog: The Black Crowes All Join Hands" is my fave disc by far.

The new one is a bluesy acoustic career-spanning compliation with a lot of the "lesser" known songs if you will.

Great band. I have never seen them live, but I do have the above-mentioned DVD. I think any fan of the Allman Brothers and similar stuff could get into the Crowes' contemporary take on the sound.

Since we're on the topic of the Crowes, if you want to hear a really great Zeppelin live album that isn't really done by Zeppelin, they're "Live with Jimmy Page" live set is incredible. In fact, it's probably better than any live Zeppelin album out there.

this is my jam! just turn this shit to 11 and it's on! such an awesome song with amazing groove but honestly this entire album is a classic staple in "modern era" classic rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we're on the topic of the Crowes, if you want to hear a really great Zeppelin live album that isn't really done by Zeppelin, they're "Live with Jimmy Page" live set is incredible. In fact, it's probably better than any live Zeppelin album out there.

Are you talking about Live At The Greek with Jimmy Page/Black Crowes?

Are you talking about Live At The Greek with Jimmy Page/Black Crowes?

I believe that's the one. I wanted it so bad that I actually bought it from a website musicmaker.com way before it was officially released. I think that was the only way you could get it.

Shake Your Money Maker- The most commercially accessible Crowes disc with Hard to Handle, She Talks To Angels & Jealous again. Sister Luck & Seeing Things are slow & smooth blues based rock that the Crowes ended up doing so well with. Recommended if you like commercial classic rock sound...7 of 10

The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion-This disc is where the Crowes sound blossomed and they turned into a full fledged blues rock machine. Remedy was a top 20 hit and the disc was all killer no filler. If you likes some of the bluesier stuff from Moneymaker you will love this one...8 1/2 of 10

Amorica- Probably the peak of the blues rock style for the Crowes. Descending is probably on of the best piano driven ballads ever! Ballad in Urgency, Cursed Diamond and Nonfiction were also top notch classics. Probably my 2nd favorite disc by the Crowes... 9 of 10

Three Snakes and One Charm- This disc sees the Crowes going in a more jam band, hippie'esque direction. Not as commercially accessible as the 1st 3, I originally lost interest with this disc. In further listens a few years down the road, I discovered the greatest hippie jam band disc ever, and the tours became mindblowing!Girl from a Pawnshop, (Only) Halfway to Everywhere, How Much for Your Wings?, etc... All time classic...9 1/2 of 10

By Your Side - New guitarist Audley Freed, new driven rock sound. The disc stands well on its own, but placed next to the 1st 4 discs, it just doesn't compare. Kickin' My Heart Around and Virtue & Vice were both classic Crowes, but many of the songs were just okay... 7 of 10

Lions- Same rock direction, same results. Very hit & miss, still solid but not classic. Midnight from the Inside Out starts the disc out in glorious raucous Crowes style, but the excitement is tempered until track 8 Soul Singing, track 9 Miracle To Me is a killer ballad, and levels out at the end. Once again, good but not great...7 of 10

Warpaint- the band's first studio album in almost seven years. Very eclectic batch of new Crowes, going in many different directions, with some soul stirring blues vocals (Walk Believer Walk), some strong hippie jams (Evergreen, We Who See The Deep) and a few folky, country'esque ballads. I was completely enamored with this disc for a few months, a strong comeback and a return to a more enjoyable Crowes...8 1/2 of 10

The Lost Crowes- A two disc release of previously unreleased Crowes discs...my favorite of all the Crowes discs. Disc one, "Tall" is loaded with amazing tunes. Disc 2 "Band" is more hit and miss, but overall I'd say...9 1/2 0f 10

Before the Frost...Until The Freeze- 2 disc collection of new Crowes, went in strange new directions. Recorded live in front of a 100 or so fans, both discs are loaded with strange new sounds, ranging from blues, rock, and country. Even though its not the same old Crowes, I still enjoy spinning this one, and even went so far as to also buy it on vinyl...8 1/2 of 10

Croweology- Glen said it all. Its a more mature, laid back revisiting of old Crowes songs and the production is amazing!!! A must buy if you like acoustic driven songs played by an extremely talented band... 8 of 10

The Black Crowes are nothing like the progressive, power or otherwise heavy metal that we all know and love, but they deserve a listen. An amazing band thats been around for a long time and never let the old fans down

this is another kick ass "jam" bootleg. it's their blues cover band. i actually have an original silver pressed disc of this. it's so good!
Foamfoot+-+Crows+From+The+Closet+(Live+@+The+Troubador,+Hollywood,+jan.+8+1994)_front.jpg

Walk in My Shadow ~ written by Paul Rogers
Bottle of Red Wine ~ written by Eric Clapton & Bonnie Bramlett
Tin Soldier ~ written by The Small Faces
Take the Highway ~ written by Marshall Tucker Band
Deal ~ written by Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter
Love Me Till The Sun Shines ~ written by The Kinks
Long Time Gone ~ written by Crosby, Still, Nash
Jemima Surrender ~ written by Levon Helm & Robbie Robertson
One Way Out ~ written by S. Williamson
Presence Of The Lord ~ written by E.C. with Blind Faith

Only 40 % Crowes were involve with this, with Marc Ford and Chris Robinson, but still a very enjoyable disc. These shows would have been amazing to see! I believe Marc & Chris were in the throes of heroin addiction during this period, which is why so many different bootlegs exist from this era. They were branching out and jamming with everybody! What is it about great musicians and heroin? Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Joe Perry etc... the list is long!
If you guys enjoy discovering the Black Crowes offshoots, try "Sweet Pickle Salad". I consider this one of the finest unreleased discs out there. Its kinda like, the Black Crowes play Jethro Tull type music with amazing results! The flute player was rumored to be a 15 year old prodigy, and he is damn good! Its out there. Go find it and give it a try

TwistedJesus... nice post. I'm going to have to explore a bit. I suspect I'll start with Three Snakes and One Charm.

Great choice Zod! If you like "Three Snakes...", I'd go with "The Lost Crowes" double disc next. I don't know what it is about the Black Crowes, but I have almost 200 live shows and just about every bonus track, bootleg or offshoot thats out there. They are like Led Zeppelin to me. GODLIKE!

Only 40 % Crowes were involve with this, with Marc Ford and Chris Robinson, but still a very enjoyable disc. These shows would have been amazing to see! I believe Marc & Chris were in the throes of heroin addiction during this period, which is why so many different bootlegs exist from this era. They were branching out and jamming with everybody! What is it about great musicians and heroin? Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Joe Perry etc... the list is long!
If you guys enjoy discovering the Black Crowes offshoots, try "Sweet Pickle Salad". I consider this one of the finest unreleased discs out there. Its kinda like, the Black Crowes play Jethro Tull type music with amazing results! The flute player was rumored to be a 15 year old prodigy, and he is damn good! Its out there. Go find it and give it a try

yeah i should have listed it wasn't all of them, but close enough for my book! it's a great disc with great sound quality.