__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Opeth – The Roundhouse Tapes
Peaceville – DVDVILE11 – 2008
By Russell Garwood

opeth2.jpg

The lights drop inside the Prince Charles Cinema, in the heart of London as Opeth enter the room. The excitement is palpable in a room rammed with the band’s fans, the lucky few who snapped up the tickets for this preview screening before they sold out. "We are Opeth, and this is our DVD" comes the introduction, followed by a cheeky grin, a roar of applause and then the screening. The Roundhouse Tapes DVD documents the same live show as the Swedes’ similarly titled CD. The well-published set list contains tracks from throughout the band’s history, from Orchid’s ’Under The Weeping Moon’ through to Ghost Reveries’ ’Ghost Of Perdition’. The range is welcome, and makes for an enjoyable show, carried through by excellent performances from all members involved. Between the songs is the typical Mikael Åkerfeldt bullshittery, adding some humour, and making for a memorable concert. The DVD is well shot, although the added camera effects can feel forced at times (grain and sepia tones during some quieter moments, for example). The entire package is beautifully presented in a digibook with art-cards, cool liner notes, and a Travis Smith cover. As well as the 108 minute set it includes an interview with the band, some very entertaining-to-cringe-worthy fan interviews, footage of the soundcheck and a photo gallery. This all makes for an enjoyable and well-thought out release. Those that remain equivocal about Opeth are unlikely to be swayed by The Roundhouse Tapes. For fans of the band, however, it is definitely worth checking out, being the first DVD to feature tracks from throughout their career, and serves as a decent introduction for those who haven’t previously checked them out.

Official Opeth website
Official Opeth myspace
Official Peaceville website

yeah i really like it. not sure whether it'd be as good for people who haven't heard many of their songs

I have one HUGE problem with this dvd. It's a problem with a lot of music dvds now-adays. And that's the footage editing. I get dizzy watching the camera view change every second. I never get a chance to focus on anything. :loco::puke:

What a shame. Some bands play like crap and crank up the music so loud to drown out their mistakes. Not Opeth. A video documentery would be a much better way to go with the technical expertise of Opeth. Instead they tryed to make an MTV type of show where they try to insinuate constant action by switching the camera view every fucking second!:mad:

I would much rather see a good 20 second view of all the players thoughout the song. And when there's a guitar solo, stay focused on the fucking guitar player!!! At least for 10 seconds.

Watch the dvd Stevie Ray Vaughn, Live at Austin City Limits. They stay focused on him playing guitar and you can't help but see his briliance. Opeth could have had the same thing if they didn't go all MTV with the production. Instead I watch and get :ill: Disapointing cuz Opeth is a fantastic band.

No doubt there are some for whom Opeth's prog side gets in the way, but you've got to love any band so unafraid to embrace its inner nerd.