Opeth Albums

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
I just recently got into Opeth and actually Scandinavian Metal for that matter and I really like Blackwater Park. I was wondering if the earlier Opeth stuff is better because Blackwater Park is a killer cd.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
I just recently got into Opeth and actually Scandinavian Metal for that matter and I really like Blackwater Park. I was wondering if the earlier Opeth stuff is better because Blackwater Park is a killer cd.

welcome to the fold, padawan learner.

all of opeth's albums are great, but stylistically different.

my personal favorite is Still Life (#4)

still life is a great cd for a new opethian to start out with, because it incorporates a great number of styles which they get detailed in the other cds. Once you get still life figured out,,,then you will be equiped to understand the majesty of all the other cds.

All depends on what you think, we have some that like the newer stuff more and some that prefer the older stuff.... I like Still Life, and My Arms, Your Hearse and Blackwater Park.

I started off with Blackwater Park also. I'd recommend either My Arms, Your Hearse or Still Life next. The first 2 albums are also brilliant but IMO you'd have a much better appreciation for them after sampling something closer in style to what you already like.

What I would say is that
BWP is quite close to SL
MAHY is more agressive (than the 4 others)

but ALL their albums are wonderfull ! :headbang:

All of them. It doesn't matter which order you go in, you'll learn to appreciate the music. There is no album that is 'the best'... they all have a certain trademark sound and add something to Opeth's discography.

Orchid (1st release) is KILLER though... but that's just my opinion. My Arms, Your Hearse (3rd release) has a lot of really heavy moments too.

It's all a matter of taste.

I love Opeth, and Blackwater Park is my favorite Opeth endeavor. But they all have something to offer, and all in a good way.

Alright I guess they are just a great band because Blackwater Park sounds really good and everybodys favorite is something else. I guess I will just go and get them all. Thanks for the info guys.