Opeth cover songs

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
How would you guys feel about something similar to this? ("Official Katatonia cover contest")

Personally I'd love to do something similar to this, unofficially, with less strict rules. Quoting the Katatonia contest rules:

1. Entries must be full songs and can either be your band covering the song, or just singing.
2. You may NOT sing or play along with a Katatonia CD, the recording must be 100% your instruments or voice.
3. All entries must be in mp3 format.
5. Multiple entries are allowed.
4. The entries will be placed on the Katatonia mp3.com page as soon as they are received. The contest will end and the winner will be announced on September 30th.

I'd prefer that one could record just a part of a song if they want, use drum machines, remix existing Opeth songs, that sort of stuff. Singing or playing along a CD wouldn't work, 'cause, come on, what would it sound like if someone growled OVER Mikael's voice..? :p

I don't know if we need the band's permission for this.. come on Opeth guys, I know you're reading this, so step forth and say "go ahead, this might be interesting". :)

Also, we'd also need some webspace for the mp3s. An open FTP to avoid the nuisance of e-mailing the mp3s to someone, who then would upload them?

Thoughts?

Well, I think it's going to have to go without saying that doing "part of a song" is going to have to occur in some areas... I'm sure someone might want to record part of "Black Rose Immortal"... but not all 20 mins.

I think it's a great idea, although I personally have little to contribute. I'm sure an official Thales cover track wouldn't be too difficult to put together :) ...ACTUALLY... there's lots of bands and members thereof here... hell! We could do a Opeth cover/tribute album! Transfer around some WAV files, burn some CDs, do up some cover art... how hard would that be?

Oye! Geesh, I'm getting excited. :) (me spuds are boilin'!)

I'd like to do the infamous Jungle Remix, LOL. :D

Actually, we could handle this just like the fellow musicians over at Internet Musicians' Guild forum. Everyone records what they're able to, sends the wavs forward, etc.

The same here: I myself am completely unable to produce any kind of music (well, I could try to fart and burb in rhythm...), but I would certainly support this kind of project "in spirit". The idea is GREAT!

That being said, I guess I'll go somewhere else farting/burbing for a while...

-Villain

I haven't heard anyone ever cover an Opeth song yet. I'd probably think it sucks. Haha, I mean...who can really do it that good? I'd be saying, "Oh! They messed up there...and there...Oh, that part was all wrong. This guy can't sing worth of shit." But, if you guys actually get your shit together and do one, I'd be way more open minded seeing how I get to read your thoughts posted here. ;) I've heard talk of Opeth covers so much though, it'd actually be nice by now to hear one already. Dammit!

Lynn