Opeth drum tabs

Saikpyro

Oct 26, 2002
In Stockholm
Visit site
Hi! I want to start playing the drums and one of my goals will be to play a song from my favorite group...Opeth, u guessed right! Im thinking of working on "A fair judgement" (yea I know It will take time but hey, Iv got plenty of time ffs ;- I would really like to know where I can find the drumtabs and if that is a good song to try to learn or if its to difficult. So if we have some good drummers here at the Opeth board plz tell me what u think. And do you have any idea how long time it might take? Lets say that you practice 10-15 hours/week and is average talented. (just so I know what im up against, hehe :p

people always go the wrong way about learning stuff.

dude, serioulsy, learn some simple beats first, learn how to keep time and stuff, there's a lot more to drumming than knowing when to hit what...

I know that I have to learn the strokes first, the timing, basic rudiments, etc etc. Im also going to take lots of lessons, I was just wondering about the tabs and which song I should start to learn AFTER I have learned the basic stuff. I also know that a song with fast double bass is not to recommend...;-) so therefor maybe "a fair judgement".

honestly...I wouldn't use drum tabs to learn songs
I find it makes you have to think too hard about what you're doing and impedes your natural beat and flow

after you get playing for a while you'll know the sounds of the different drums well enough that it's fairly easy to understand what is being played just by listening to the song

maybe that seems crazy now, but trust me, it gets a lot easier over time

I can listen to most any song and understand or know almost exactly what the drummer is playing...just replicating it can be a bit harder

drum tabs are stupid really. I mean if you can't tell which drum the guy is hitting then you probably arn't good enough to play much of anything to begin with. That isn't directed at anyone btw...just a general though.

Guitar tabs make more sense but even i'll admit i'm somewhat hindered by using them too much.

Anyway take the advice other people gave, i'm not a drummer but my best friend is and we've pretty much grown up musically together. He's had an instructor that helped him a LOT especially with jazz styles (essential for opeth) and dynamics (something most drummers can't do).

Drum tabs are no good way to learn playing drums. Hearing by ear and then play will improve your playing much better.

Anyway the only thing I guess is a little bit hard on a fair judgement are the ghost notes played on the snare, you know the quiet hits on the snare almost always played multiple(like a short marching drum sequence) That took me a while to learn at least.