Opeth - Hertiage - Cover art

:lol: at first i hated it, the faces ruin it. but later i started to form the same opinion as insidethefall. it reminds me of the type of album you would see at a record store for like 3$. and you think god this must be garbage

and 99/100 it is shit, but this i like to think of (having not heard the album of course) that it may be that 1/100 that is actually quite listenable, and possibly even great

Is it just me or is Travis Smith very much a hit and miss artist, love katatonia's NITND album, love October tide, but porcupine tree is a miss sometimes and this new Opeth album cover, well I like it except for the fact that their heads are "fruit" in the trees.

http://opeth.com/index.php/news/show/id/213

Well, he always works in collaboration right, so it completely depends on what a band wants from him. He's just a pro doing his job, and if a band wants a crappy cover (which is of course debatable) that's what they get.
What I like about this album cover is that it makes people react to it. A lot of album art totally blends in with everything else in a cd store, but this one makes you think "wait... what?!".

i think its cool looking, i know how that can go with collaborating with someone, doing what they want and all, the color schemes are really cool in the painting i think. I think an album cover with mike taking a shit on a monkey's face would make someone say " wait....what?!" though too

does anyone know if they played a new song off of Heritage at Bonaroo? my cousin went, but he's not that familiar with their stuff, he said it was a good show though.

I just listened to all of "Heritage" on youtube, album leaked, gotta so after my first listen through I'm not that impressed, I thought "Marrow of the Earth" last track and instrumental was by far the best song....don't like Mike's approach to singing, or his vocal melodies at all, some of the slow stuff is very dark and atmospheric, but I don't feel like he builds off of what's going on . . . silence ensues, then a fast hammer on hammer-off lead type of riff comes in on at least 4 songs......your thoughts?

I just listened to all of "Heritage" on youtube, album leaked, gotta so after my first listen through I'm not that impressed, I thought "Marrow of the Earth" last track and instrumental was by far the best song....don't like Mike's approach to singing, or his vocal melodies at all, some of the slow stuff is very dark and atmospheric, but I don't feel like he builds off of what's going on . . . silence ensues, then a fast hammer on hammer-off lead type of riff comes in on at least 4 songs......your thoughts?

I didn't like it at all. It's very fractal. The album doesn't flow. And Slither is the shittiest song they've ever done. I'm gonna pass on this one.
I'm sure glad I resisted the urge to buy the Boxed edition.

Okay, I heard the album this morning on youtube. The thing with it is that I tried to not view it as Opeth and expect an Opeth album. When I did that I actually liked it. Not anything more or less. I just liked it. It was kind of pleasing.
It isn't really my style or anything I'd listen to if it wasn't Opeth, so it doesn't really resonate with my being so to say, but I like the sounds and some grooves.

Listened to Devil's Orchard a few mins ago and.. well. It's pretty good. I certainly like it more than most of watershed. Would have profited from some growls but oh well... not gonna light my world in fire but an entertaining listen.

Note: Me liking something says nothing at all. I like most of the top-40 music out there, so it is hardly a compliment to Opeth, my beloved band that used to make music I didn't just like, but LOVED

The album is pretty impressive, it has the elements of a classic prog album but it's still undeniably Opeth. I like the minimal approach in several parts of the album and the warm sound of the analog instruments and production. I've listened to it a couple of times and Folklore might be my favorite.