Opeth in Antwerp (Belgium)! Review + playlist.

Midwinter_melancholY

¨‘°ºOrnamental adagiOº°‘¨
Nov 30, 2002
Belgium
www.hanenwurger.org
It was absolutely amazing. However, I feel so sorry for Opeth that we were such a static audience yesterday. But that's the way the Belgians are, you know. We're known for it (and that's not a joke), but we dó enjoy the music very much (hence the many cheers and response after each track!), I can tell you that! And Opeth knew that apparently because they kept on encouraging the audience to go wild anyway and at the end the people were finally starting to break loose, fortunately.

Before we get started: Excuse me for not remembering the right order of tracks brought that night, but I'll try to write down everything I remember about yesterday.

About the whole show:

Extol was there to set fire on the fuse and they díd. Their set was tight, energetic and straight-forward! I hadn't heard them live, I hadn't even heard them - at all. I just saw their name on this forum a couple of times but that's it. It was a pleasant surprise to hear what they are capable of! I've never been fond of the 'hardcoresque' voice, but Extol used it in an acceptable way so I didn't bother at all, on the contrary.

Then, the moment we had been waiting for: Opeth.
After the atmospheric introduction-sounds, which has become a valuable classic in their shows, hell breaks loose with 'Deliverance'. The sound was literally blowing the audience off its socks. Opeth didn't hesitate to set fire on the place with the very first song of that evening apparently. Then a track from the new album was anounced: 'the Baying of the Hounds'! I was very curious about how Michael would manage to sing the 'And you are receptive (...) // No longer struggling (...)', because his voice is layered there on the album. I thought Per would assist him there, but he managed it alone . Then, you won't believe it, the first song for the oldschool fans: 'WHEN' from MAYH!! Ex-cel-lent choice!! With that opening riff you can't be wrong, never. Especially the part that starts on 0'55" on the album if you know what I mean. Madness. Sweating like oxen (especially Peter, the sweat was literally leaking off his arms) Opeth decided to release the speed pedal a bit. The curtains of the Damnation album revealed 'In My Time of Need'. The song gently weeped through the audience who sung along with Michael, magnificent, glad I wasn't the only one. In order to recover completely another Damnation-track, 'To Rid the Disease', was sent into the hall. This was definitly Pers moment because in the other songs his keys weren't that detectable. Plus, his keys sounded quite weird at certain moments. Anyway, on with the show: Michael asked us whether we had known one of those spandex-bands in our country. Fortunately we didn't (as far as I recall), unlike Sweden ofcourse - you know who I'm talking about. And he claimed Opeth proved that they were capable to combine death metal with 'cock rock'-ballads as such :D Moreover, he showed us the very evidence: 'The Drapery Falls' entwined the audience with its psychedelic nature. Wonderful. It was time for another oldschool-surprise. A track from the Still Life album... I can't describe the feeling I had when I heard 'This is... Face of Melinda'. Absolutely fantastic you know. I think it's one of the very best songs on Still Life, together with the Moor and White Cluster. After that it was time to give the 'evil' people their 'evil' quality time. Michael introduced the song to the audience with his amusing irony, using the 'evil' triggerwords 'our', 'lord', 'satan' and 'evil'. And thus 'The Grand Conjuration' smashed our brains to the walls. Great sound, even Pers keys managed to come, well, to a detectable level. Then Michael anounced that we had reached the 'ennnd-eh'... of the evening. A violent four on four-beat would conclude the magnificent show. And what better than a twelve-minute long headbanger! The very... 'Blackwater Park' - the title track of their fifth album.

After that intense experience the band said goodbye and thanked us for coming. But we are not stupid you know. We knew Opeth had this other song, what is it called - ow right - 'Demon of the Fall'!! After loud cheering from the crowd the band decided to end 'in style' with, exactly, 'Demonnn-eh... of the Fall'. Bloody fucking mental!

This was another delightful experience in my career as an Opeth-fan. It was the fifth time I saw them; the last time was in Lille (France, where they played 'Advent' as well). Michael's close and humourous interaction with the audience is still there and that's become a very part of the show. Moreover: it's a persuasive reason to go to one of their performances after all, in case you are in doubt (which I'll never be, personally).

Brilliant show, brilliant playlist, brilliant atmosphere! It's what we wanted, and it's what we got it along with some excellent surprises.

Cheers!

affinityband said:
Yea they were awesome, but i wasnt the only one to shout 'marry me' in between songs :$

Hehe. At Sounds of the Underground there was a MAN shouting "I love you Mikael" in the audiance. Mikael must have been thinking "I guess we're in the San Francisco Bay Area" :p

"I was very curious about how Michael would manage to sing the 'And you are receptive (...) // No longer struggling (...)', because his voice is layered there on the album. I thought Per would assist him there, but he managed it alone ."

i doubt this...at least per did the 'no longer struggling'-part in köln...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
"I was very curious about how Michael would manage to sing the 'And you are receptive (...) // No longer struggling (...)', because his voice is layered there on the album. I thought Per would assist him there, but he managed it alone ."

i doubt this...at least per did the 'no longer struggling'-part in köln...
Maybe, because Per's microphone wasn't that clear throughout the whole show, same goes for his keys. I saw him sing through the microphone sometimes without hearing ànything from him. So yes, maybe he took that part for his account but wasn't hearable, thus Michael did both the verses. I'm not sure though.

One small correction: they played The Grand Conjuration right after The Drapery Falls, and before Face Of Melinda.

Remember the bridge between the songs: the audience was going totally insane after TDF, and because of this Mikael said something like "maybe you just like really evil music", and then announced a "very evil" song... which turned out to be - of course - TGC.

And I agree: brilliant show. My neck still hurts a bit from all the headbanging. :headbang:

zortz said:
Hehe. At Sounds of the Underground there was a MAN shouting "I love you Mikael" in the audiance. Mikael must have been thinking "I guess we're in the San Francisco Bay Area" :p
or he couldo been thinking that guys is a freak....

Oakenpalace said:
Yeah Opeth was amazing, the best live show I've ever seen untill now, but Extol really sucked

Extol might have been bearable without that pathetic "singer" and terrible bass player.
And Opeth... first time I saw them... really amazing!

Opeth… They’ve got me since I’ve heard “The apostle in triumph” for the very first time. Like no other Opeth can bring both a lot of dynamics and contrast in their music as they vary intense harmonics with melancholic chords. I must say after two world class releases, namely “Still life” and “Blackwater Park”, they somehow disappointed me with the less good “Deliverance”. Fortunately the latest “Ghost reveries” got the band back on the right track and therefore I was very eager to witness them on tour.

Today’s show in Hof Ter Lo was supported by the Norwegian Extol. I have only heard the last tunes of this technical death metal band. You know, it’s Friday, the last day of a working week and this was the fastest I could get to Antwerp. Anyway, I was coming for Opeth and truly I wasn’t interested in hearing Extol. And I guess I wasn’t the only one… The venue was filled very well before the Swedes entered the stage. Someone told me something like 750 people could enter the hall and it felt like being packed somewhere in Africa with 2000 bushmen in one hut! Damn, it was hot!

After loud applause of the audience Opeth kicked off with “Deliverance” bringing all in movement. Åkerfeldt promised us his job was to entertain us. We would witness the best rock show ever! The man did have a point when setting in “The baying of the hounds” – The second track from “Ghost reveries”. “When” took us back to the old school days and the crowd loved it. After three songs of headbanging and powerfull playing, it was time to take a break. Åkerfeldt incited the spectators to sing along with “In my time of need”. It was nice to hear so many voices sing along “Summer is miles and miles away – And no one would ask me to stay”. Rockstar as he is, Åkerfeldt talked about getting rich and famous – But with such a sense of nonsense it was quite humorous. When he played a little piece of something from Judas Priest he asked again to sing along. This time with “Death whispered a lullaby”. Again a song from the acoustic “Damnation” release. It was a rather strange choice putting both easy listening songs in a row. But it seemed everyone liked it a lot. It catched my eye Opeth did get the most response during their clean vocals parts and more calm guitar riffs. After making fun of glam rock and referring Opeth as a mixture of death metal and cock rock “The drapery falls” rang in. Åkerfeldt continued his great act as a frontman making fun of evil music and the sign of the horns. This was a prelude to “The grand conjuration”, my personal highlight of the evening. The break riffs and intelligent rhythms sound just darn awesome on stage! Still I was waiting for some songs hailing from “Still life”. And indeed, next up was “Face of Melinda”, played for the very first time in Belgium. But why didn’t they chose “Moonlapse vertigo” or “Godhead’s lament”? I was really waiting for on of those. Anyway, the show carried on after session drummer Martin Axerot showed what a four four beat was all about. “Blackwater park” finished the set in style. As expected the band didn’t leave without playing something extra. I think we’re all very happy “Demon of the fall” was announced as being the latest song of the evening.

I’m pretty sure the whole tour is a big success. Even with high prices like 20 euro many shows are sold out in advance. Have a look:

image.asp

06th - Birmingham, UK, Academy SOLD OUT
07th - Manchester, UK, Academy SOLD OUT
08th - London, UK, Meanfiddler SOLD OUT
09th - Antwerp, Belgium, Hof Ter Lo
10th - Koln, Germany, Underground SOLD OUT
11th - Tilburg, Netherlands, 013
13th - Paris, France, Locomotive SOLD OUT
14th - Amsterdam, Melkweg
15th - Essen, Germany, Zeche Carl
16th - Berlin, Germany, Columbia Club
17th - Hamburg, Germany, Grunspan
18th - Malmo, Sweden, KB
19th - Oslo, Norway, Rockefeller
20th - Goteborg, Sweden, Sticky Fingers
21st - Stockholm, Sweden, Klubben SOLD OUT
23rd - Helsinki, Finland, Tavastia SOLD OUT
24th - Helsinki, Finland, Tavastia SOLD OUT
25th - Helsinki, Finland, Nosturi (all ages) SOLD OUT

Let’s say Opeth did a very good job this evening. And let’s add I’m somehow not fully satisfied. One: they could pick a better play list. And two: they were a lot more enthusiastic and better when I saw them in Holland with Katatonia and Novembre a couple of years ago. But let’s cut the negative crap, I’ve had a great time!

Here’s the play list again:
1. Deliverance (from -Deliverance)
2. The baying of the hounds (from -Ghost reveries)
3. When (from -My arms, your hearse)
4. In my time of need (from -Damnation)
5. Death whispered a lullaby (from -Damnation)
6. The drapery falls (from -Blackwater park)
7. The grand conjuration (from -Ghost reveries)
8. Face of Melinda (from -Still life)
9. Blackwater park (from -Blackwater park)
10. Demon of the fall (from -My arms, your hearse)

official source: http://www.vampire-magazine.com/concertreviews.asp?id=196

Yes he did, but he can be mistaken after all the live shows done so far. Small correction though, as my review wasn't perfect either: It was 'To Rid the Disease', not 'Death Whispered a Lullaby'. Brilliant review eitherway. I'm glad i was there or it would have made me bleeding jealous :D