Opeth interview is now available

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
Yep, finally :)

This is an audio interview we conducted with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth before their Atlanta show at the Roxy Theater.

Topics include:

• The correct way to pronounce his last name :D
  • Upcoming tour in February
  • How his life has changed since his daughter Melinda's birth
  • Future metal project with Stephen Wilson of Porcupine Tree (and Mike Portnoy (!))
  • Future direction of Opeth (harder/softer etc.)
  • "Black Rose Immortal?" "Never!"
  • Origin of the band-name
  • American beer
  • New bandmembers named Martin, and nothing else but Martin
  • Swedish coffee (and coffee's critical importance to Skandinavia)
  • "Hi, do you have any Opeth in stock?" "Well, actually...."
  • Bands Mikael recommends
  • His 'harder' influences
  • The death of "Demon of the Fall"
  • Song complexity, the 'organic' nature of the band, and older albums
The interview was aired in three parts during our WREKage broadcast this past early-Saturday morning, and will be included in the show archive until next week (when it gets overlaid).

To get to the interview, go to http://www.wrekage.org and click on "Listen to WREKage." An m3u playlist is returned, so if you open it, it will load into your mp3 player of choice as a bunch of half-hour segments. Part I of the interview is at -20:00 during the 02:30 segment, following the Black Sabbath song. Part II follows a Dillinger Escape Plan song at roughly -3:00 during the 03:00 segment, bridging into the 3:30 segment, and Part III follows a Death Angel song at about -2:00 during the same 03:30 segment.

The playlist for the show is at http://www.wrekage.org/playlists.php so you can see where the segments fit in during the broadcast. I took the week off for the first time since ProgPower, so you won't see too many PP'ish bands. I'm in the interview, though. :)

The interview should also be posted to the WREKage website as a podcast, making it lots easier to access, but I'm not sure when.

Pellaz said:
Yep, finally :)

This is an audio interview we conducted with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth before their Atlanta show at the Roxy Theater.

Topics include:

• Upcoming tour in February
  • Future metal project with Stephen Wilson of Porcupine Tree (and Mike Portnoy (!))
  • New bandmembers named Martin, and nothing else but Martin
Very interesting.

Heh, I'll encapsulate it, since the interview still isn't posted as a podcast (dark look at my lazy fellow WREKage deejays).

Basically Mikael said that he thinks the project with Stephen will happen and that it will be a metal project. A fan outside before the show had told me about the swirling Mike Portnoy rumours and I was going to ask Mikael about that, but he mentioned Portnoy as possibly being involved first. :) He also mentioned that they're trying to get someone else for it, someone pretty big (judging from his comments and his expression), but who Mikael would not name.

It was a lot of fun to do the interview, and it was cool of Opeth's tour manager to let it run a bit long. Peter Lindgren had also been slated to join us, but was sick that day...Mikael described his symptoms in unwonted detail on the stage later. :eek: He also did give us lessons in growling and in Swedish, as we anticipated in the interview. :)

Cool interview! Good one.

Still I didn't catch that underrated band's name which Mike recommended...
"Marly Martin" something. Please don't laugh. I couldn't make it out, please,
does anyone know?

Thanx for the interview man!

Benighted Joe said:
Still I didn't catch that underrated band's name which Mike recommended..."Marly Martin" something.

Madder Mortem.

Good interview, man. I have an unhealthy man-love for Mike Akerfeldt. He's just so damn into the music. Zero pretense.

NP: Meshuggah "Destroy Erase Improve"

--Which is why I posted the start times, as well as the playlist page so you can navigate through all the lousy (to you) music.

The whole thing should be posted separately as a podcast when Mike (of WREKage) gets around to it. I'd host it myself, but bandwidth issues make me think it would be better if Georgia Tech paid the bill. :)

I enjoyed the interview, thanks! I never tire of listening to Akerfeldt talk, love his voice even when he's growling...