Opeth: The New Beatles?

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Ok, perhaps a crazy comparison, but somewhat like The Beatles, Opeth seem to break metal barriers musically (at least IMO), much like the Beatles did with 'guitar music'...

Thoughts?

Or just ignore me if ya like

:loco:

hMM , I suppose you can compare the impact on later bands that The Beattles had , Opeth will influence thousands of bands but not the way The Beatles did , I doubt there will be any band on much music that will tell a life long story of how Opeth changed there music style , and there life style . If your seeing my point here ? , long story short , Beatles have the same effect on music has Opeth , but the Opeth side goes unoticed .

But there is one thing I can see hapening , Opeth Touring with Tool , Imagine the promotion , and most tool fans aren't mainstream people , they to are concidered "different" to mainstream people (or at least I thought so) . If they did tour with Tool , used all clean vocals , cut there songs down to 4-5 minutes , and made them less 'heavy' , then they could create a bigger 'mainstream' following , but they would loose all of us .

I'm sorry, but I'll have to beg to differ....I've seen TOOL 3 times over the past 8 years (the most recent was w/ KING CRIMSON) and at every show I have seen that most of the people who were there to see TOOL were big jock dudes bursting with testosterone....I think that TOOL actually don't get the recognition that they deserve from the underground because metallers think that they suck solely because they are being played on the radio. Little do they know that TOOL are one of the few bands who deserve every ounce of recognition and dollar that they get.
OPETH playing with TOOL?! :yow: Two of the most talented bands in existense?! I'm so there!!!!!:headbang: OPETH would not have to worry about losing me as a fan....I highly doubt they would compromise themselves to gain popularity...As long as I still like the music it wouldn't matter who they played with (Britney Spears and N'Sync aside)

Tool and Opeth would be my 3-hour long constant orgasm.

anyway..

I do think Opeth can be compared to the Beatles in some ways, but it's yet to be seen whether they can reach that sort of artistic plateau in which they reach out and take inspiration and culture from everything..

Opeth needs a few more albums of maturing before they'll be Beatles..

It's like wine.. it's good now, but it'll be GREAT later. :)

Who wrote most of the stuff in The Beatles? Was it McCartney? That'd make him like Mikael, the main guy so to speak...Peter is definitely Lennon with his hippie glasses hehe. Dunno about the Martins. Who's got the bigger nose? :D

Does this post make sense?

Interesting. I once had a theory (how often do I say this?) that the history of music resembles an hourglass and the Beatles are the middle thereof. All past things influenced the Beatles and the Beatles influenced everything after. This is really arguable, I know, but let's go with it for now. Moreso than anything, the Beatles were, in a word, BIG.

There is definately a movement of massive progression/development in the underground metal genre right now, and few will argue that Opeth are one of the leaders of this... if history is to show that Opeth were the frontrunners of this sweeping "progressive movement" in metal, they could come to be known years from now as the Beatles of this genre, I suppose. Will they ever alter culture the same way? No - highly doubtful.

Originally posted by Kem
Who wrote most of the stuff in The Beatles? Was it McCartney? That'd make him like Mikael, the main guy so to speak...Peter is definitely Lennon with his hippie glasses hehe. Dunno about the Martins. Who's got the bigger nose? :D

Does this post make sense?

Fuckin weird that you'd compare Lindgren To Lennon because me and Till Fjalls were lookin at the booklit one day and we were sayin that he looked a bit like lennon , even my mother thought so .

As great as Opeth are I don't think they're in the realm of the Beatles...

But I'm sure more hardcore fans would disagree.

No.

I look at this question from an impact standpoint.

The Beatles, Elvis and others have had a HUGE impact on the music industry. As much as Opeth's music is off the bell curve, I can't imagine them to have any sort of lasting impact on the music world. They are for the Opethians ears - and only a very small % of the world will probably ever know them.

THE FUCKING BEATLES? I am sorry, and this might be because I am young, but I HATE the Beatles. Would somebody please explain to me, in musical terms, what the hell was so good about the beatles? To me they were just the earliest form of a New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys/N Sync. Please don't hate me for saying it. I think they did what Black people had been doing for years only whiter and cuter, so they were hugely successful. The main reason they influenced so many people is because they were shoved down everyones throat for like 40 years. The music wasn't technical, the harmonies were very simple, and the lyrics were sappy love songs. I know I must have made some enemies, but I had to voice my opinion.

As far as TooL/Opeth, oh my god what a great idea! I always thought Face Of Melinda Could be a radio single if stations just started playing it, don't

Originally posted by LostInFog
THE FUCKING BEATLES? I am sorry, and this might be because I am young, but I HATE the Beatles. Would somebody please explain to me, in musical terms, what the hell was so good about the beatles? To me they were just the earliest form of a New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys/N Sync. Please don't hate me for saying it. I think they did what Black people had been doing for years only whiter and cuter, so they were hugely successful. The main reason they influenced so many people is because they were shoved down everyones throat for like 40 years. The music wasn't technical, the harmonies were very simple, and the lyrics were sappy love songs. I know I must have made some enemies, but I had to voice my opinion.

As far as TooL/Opeth, oh my god what a great idea! I always thought Face Of Melinda Could be a radio single if stations just started playing it, don't

You're talking about the Beatles from 1962-1963, right? Remember that there were seven years more of this great band.

You're not making any enemies, this just shows you're ignorant. Give a listen to some of the later Beatles' albums (Revolver, Sgt.Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road) and you'll see all your arguments are dead wrong. It's fine if you still don't like it, but you might even find that some of the songs are just as complex as your beloved Opeth songs, just put in a two minute form. In fact, the harmonies are some of the most advanced in popular music.

And about that tour, make it Opeth, Tool and RUSH!! *drool* ;)

hey, whats new in opeths music? i cant hear anything ive already heard before. im not saying theyre not talented and that, but its not that ground breaking. opeth, the new beatles? you must think im stupid.

HoserHellspawn said:
Interesting. I once had a theory (how often do I say this?) that the history of music resembles an hourglass and the Beatles are the middle thereof. All past things influenced the Beatles and the Beatles influenced everything after. This is really arguable, I know, but let's go with it for now. Moreso than anything, the Beatles were, in a word, BIG.

There is definately a movement of massive progression/development in the underground metal genre right now, and few will argue that Opeth are one of the leaders of this... if history is to show that Opeth were the frontrunners of this sweeping "progressive movement" in metal, they could come to be known years from now as the Beatles of this genre, I suppose. Will they ever alter culture the same way? No - highly doubtful.

I wouldnt agree with this. Your theory would be true only if the hourglass consisted of the past 60 years. there is much more events in music to consider before those 60 years...

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
hey, whats new in opeths music? i cant hear anything ive already heard before. im not saying theyre not talented and that, but its not that ground breaking. opeth, the new beatles? you must think im stupid.

Well, of course, all music must feed off of something else. IMO nothing is completely original or ground breaking - it is just a matter of making something that would spark an interest in the listener.

Oh, and a Tool and Opeth concert would be good only if it was 18 and over. Filter out those mass amounts of Tool fans. :p

I ain't the biggest Beatles in the world by a long shot but ya gotta admire the impact that they've had on music today and the number of bands that cite them as influences.

And as much as I love Opeth, I know that they could never have that kind of impact. Not because of the music, just because back then the scene was begging for something new and exciting to come out and they happened to be it, but these days, there are so many genres and sub-genres that no band will ever have that kind of lasting impact. Think about it, 15 years ago people listened to heavy metal, that was it. There were very few genres within that. Nowadays, there's Black Metal, Extreme Metal, Melodic Metal, Nu-metal, Rap-metal, Hardcore, Grindcore, Speed, Thrash, Industrial Strength Thrash (I ain't kidding about that one). And every person has their favourite. There isn't the interest in one genre that would breed a modern day Beatles....

...or at least that's what I think.

p.s. I think Lennon wrote most of the stuff. I remember there was uproar a few months back when McCartney released an album of stuff that himself and Lennon had written. Ringo was giving out stink in all the papers because McCartney has reversed the song-writing credits and put his own name before Lennons.

p.p.s I think this is the longest post that I've ever written :)