Opeth to miss

The_Wanderer

In search for truth
Oct 15, 2001
Santiago de chilito
Visit site
What elements from older Opeth cds do you miss now (BWP)?
For example I miss that epic feeling that the riffs had on Orchid and Morningrise.
I also miss that cool bass on those two albums, I really love it and I think it adds a lot of brilliance to their music.
I also miss the extremeness of MAYH, it's a very raw album if you know what I mean.

Interesting question...

Orchid and Morningrise had more dual guitar melodic lines and less chording than MAYH, Still Life, BWP.
Of course there's the greasy-snakey bass of Johan which was a major component.
It's real little subconcious things that get under your skin - like album production details and so forth - that you remember. They are too hard to pinpoint...

I miss the quiet melodic passages... there are some on the latest 2 CD's (Patterns In The Ivy, Dirge For November, Benighted, etc.) but even those don't have the epic and melancholy feel of say Black Rose Immoral or To Bid You Farewell. I miss that kind of stuff, where the almost bring they music down to a halt and you can barely hear it... that was chilling.

I miss the absolute brilliance/progressiveness/aggression/insanity of MAYH. I'm hoping elements of this album will be present in the new album.

Although I must say, Leper is one fucking cool tune!!!! ;) I wouldn't mine more stuff like that!

Satori

At first, I didn't like the "greasy-snakey" bass on the first two albums, but I've since learned to love it. I think that incorporating some of that style into the current writing would be great..

The adventurous feeling, that epic-riding-on-horseback-into-the-battle kind of drive that Orchid had is something I'd like to hear more of. The solos were lower, slower, and had their own little climaxes to them (Twilight and Apostle, most notably)..

But y'know.. their progression to their current style and abilites isn't something that I'd like to throw out the window. I honestly like all their songs, and I know that their songwriting and style can only grow from here..

I HATE the effects on the vox that are scattered about the BWP album. They bother me immensely...!!