Opeth-y riffage

Vocals sound very thin, like you hi-passed them at 300hz. This could be due to the way the vocals were recorded (incorrect distance/angle).

Sounds like the topic promised. Very inspirational and talented sounding riffs going a LOT around here. When the vocals came in i actually laughed because of the resemblance :D if you know the "trick" it's quite easy to achieve. Cool riffs and if you like opeth i think it's great. :)

Great riffs! Guitar tone maybe lacks a touch of fatness (low-mids) but I really dig it, sounds tight. Vocals sounds like a cross of Mikael and Randy from Lamb of God haha, nice job. The vocals are a little bit unclear though, maybe adding more high-end early in the chain would help.

Updated the link, tried to clean up the vocals a bit. Also brought up the lower-mids of the guitars a bit.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It sounds real tight, but there's still a big hole in the mids that needs to be fixed, you could bring up some room in the drums and work a bit on the guitar tone to make it fatter IMO. Maybe it wouldn't retain the same razor-sharp characteristic though. Vocals need a bit of work still and the overall mix needs more "gluing", try working out a bit of master bus compression to get everything sounding more cohesive.

Goddamn the intro riff is good.

Sounds like you're aiming for a sound in the middle of Opeth's stuff and LOG's just like the vocals :) (mix reminds me a bit of the "precision" of Ashes of The Wake, try to reference from the vocals of this album). Snare needs to be a tad higher in volume (maybe a bit of transient designing to bring a bit of attack and maybe sustain would be fine) and have more verb IMO. I'd considerably lower reverb on the vocals (I think there is some?) and add some delay instead, would sound cleaner and more fitting with the mix. Finally I'd raise bass just a tad (especially the bassy part of the bass) and lower guitars just a tad too.

Keep us updated, the song is great!

I just might have made this goddamned thing even worse, at least my ears are toast at the moment. :bah:
Oh, and I took the vocals out, gonna redo 'em without the friggin proximity effect destroying everything.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5798359/KERpaser_SHIEET.mp3

Edit-
And in case you're wondering, the "bass" isn't really a bass at all, it's just a pitch shifted guitar. Which of course drives me mad.

Updated the link in the first post.

Man am I pulling my hair out with this mix. The vocals are a pain in the ass, I tried rerecording 'em and the outcome soundwise was pretty much the same, so I decided to stick with the excisting takes and just EQ the hell out them. Maybe something's changed in my vocal technique that doesn't work well with the SM57 or something.

Also I did something to the low end of the mix and I don't know if it's a change to the wrong direction or not. Goddamn I need proper monitors, not these crappy sennheiser budget headphones...