Opeths most depressing record

nevada

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2003
For me, anyway, if I read the lyrics of the songs on Morningrise, they are very strong and mostly about losses and death if I correct. Do you think that any other record have more depressing and strong lyrics?

Well, the whole MAYH record is amazingly sad.

There are quite a few parts that remind me of my ex girlfriends, too..

Oh well, I shall make a list:

No orchid song
TNATSW & TBYF
All MAYH songs (especially epilogue, AE and Dotf)
All of Still Life, 'cept for Benighted and FoM
BWP's title track
Master's apprentices
In my time of need

It's hard to blink the tears away..

I think MAYH is the most depressing. That album creates imagery of rainy nights spent alone completely isolated from the rest of humanity. That's what I picture anyways, just by listening to the music and not even taking the lyrics into consideration.

Orchid
The musical atmosphere of the album is more melancholic for me..."The Twilight is my robe" especially. But runner up would be Morningrise defintely, then My arms your hearse. So overall, the first 3 records.

I say MAYH, because of the story and the song Credence. It's fucking sad as hell to a weird point, it's like you get past it being sad, and just accept it, but it hurts so fucking much in Epilogue, I just don't want that record to end when I listen to it. I dont cry or anything, but still, it's fucking timeless. Lots of the songs on Morningrise and Orchid seem to have not a lot of emotional purpose, to me they're just kind of cool songs, with abstract lyrics, not talking about TBYF of course.

Orchid contains their most triumphant moments, musically. I can't understand anyone who arrives at the conclusion that it's their most depressing record. I mean, come on, THERE'S A FLOWER ON THE COVER.

Well I'm not talking at all about the lyrics, concepts or album covers...I'm talking about the music, the sound. Orchid sounds the most melancholic to me, with Morningrise close behind. Lyricwise though...duh, My arms your hearse takes it.

Morningrise definately. Sad.

Orchid is raw, stripped. MAYH is aggressive. Still Life is a little bit of everything. Blackwater Park is more clean, pure. Exception: titletrack. Deliverance is dark. Damnation is well, soft.

yeah. Morningrise probably. all though i think Blackwater Park has the best Spiritual feeling of them all. if you listen to i from the begining to end at least i fantasies about Rain, Forest and beeing in nowhere.. such a great album and playlist.

@IAmEternal: \m/ WEAKLING!! \m/

I say My Arms, Your Hearse, definitely. This album rips out my fucking heart. I can't listen to it all the time, but when I have a crush on someone or something, or am otherwise feeling things strongly for whatever reason, this is the album I listen to. Maybe this isn't depression, more like raw cathartic power, but when I think 'depressing', I think Katatonia much more than Opeth. I guess Morningrise is in second place here, for the song The Night And The Silent Water. I get chills with this song. So, MAYH, then M.

I take it you found a copy of Dead as Dreams IAmEternal?

I would say Morningrise. Those riffs are so despondent. Orchid seems much more upbeat, more energetic. Ah well.