• My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Still Life

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters
there is not a worst Opeth album:D
I was thinking about that today...even if there are people who don't like "Orchid",noone can question the fact that it was a very nice and promising debut...

BWP got my vote.. I can't keep it in the tray as long as the others. I've recently fallen in love with Orchid, which means all the albums EXCEPT BWP have been a favourite of mine.

Maybe one day I'll pick it up and realize its beauty, etc.. but for now, I can't get into it as much.. don't get me wrong.. I DO listen to it, and it's fucking amazing! (I mean, c'mon, it's Opeth!!) But compared to the raw majesty of Orchid, the gut-wrenching sadness of Morningrise, the power and flow of MAYH, and the beauty and pain of Still Life... I just don't know yet.. :loco:

Oh yeah..

"WOO! I cracked my 500th post! Time to change avatars!"

Orchid? ORCHID?!

My my my my. Orchid is OUTSTANDING in my opinion. I finally just got myself to take the fucking bitch out of the tape player a few days ago. Enough already! But I still can hardly help myself. I'd say Orchid is damn near "favorite" right now for me.

As far as worst album? I think "worst" is too harsh. I'll say that Blackwater Park hasn't sunk in good enough yet. I vote Blackwater Park as the most unimpressive overall due to lack of exposure. ;)

Das da ticket!

Originally posted by Opet
Orchid? ORCHID?!

My my my my. Orchid is OUTSTANDING in my opinion. I finally just got myself to take the fucking bitch out of the tape player a few days ago. Enough already! But I still can hardly help myself. I'd say Orchid is damn near "favorite" right now for me.

As far as worst album? I think "worst" is too harsh. I'll say that Blackwater Park hasn't sunk in good enough yet. I vote Blackwater Park as the most unimpressive overall due to lack of exposure. ;)

Das da ticket!

Thank you. Let's whack all the Orchid bashers out there.

ohhh man I can't beleive that so many ppl pick bwp as the worst opeth album that is an awsome album, and the few ppl that picked mayh. . . come on listen to it, you might really like it. I picked still life, mostly because it the one I listen to the least I mean it has really killer songs on it like white cluster, face of mallinda ect. . . but I still love to listen to it as much as I can, too bad I left most of my opeth on the other side of the world :cry: I guess I'll try and live with out them for a while. But hopefully I'll be watching them live tomarrow :headbang: well I've said my 2 cents hope you liked it and if you don't who cares

Morningrise .......
wc.gif

OTOH, it's not THAT bad.

D Mullholand

Blackwater Park is the band's most musically mature effort to date. While it is not as technically difficult or diverse as some others, it succeeds in creating moods like no other. The emotion involved in the title track is incredible, a true experience to listen to.

Originally posted by deathmetal4jesus
Blackwater Park is the band's most musically mature effort to date. While it is not as technically difficult or diverse as some others, it succeeds in creating moods like no other. The emotion involved in the title track is incredible, a true experience to listen to.
woah. i, too, love the title track, but i really disagree with the rest of your post. for me, the obvious division of the songs on BWP interrupts the emotion. And the verse-chorus-verse-chorus patterns don't allow me to lose myself in an abyss of magnificent sound, like the middle three CDs do. But "emotion" is too subjective to be argued, so we'll leave it at that. ;)

let me take this opportunity to discuss why i don't like orchid (in a civilized manner!), and then you can tell me why i'm wrong, wolff and opet. :p

as with BWP, the obvious division of the songs turns me off. the songs weren't written with an overarching theme -- they're disjointed as though they were written over many years (which is to be expected for a first album). also, the melodies don't grab me (purely subjective). in fact, some of them are downright fruity. the transitions aren't smooth, like they are on the other cds which is a trademark of opeth in my mind. all the interludes distract me, interrupt the flow. and i apologize if ante is reading this, but the piano piece is poorly played.

and many people consider sounding "raw" to be a good thing, making the music more accessible and "real," but i've never appreciated this. i expect the band to produce a cd that is as close to perfect as they can make it.

as melancholia predicted, i will concede that it's a great first effort. i would love it if that was the only opeth i owned. but i think it's far surpassed by the later works, even by morningrise (which i love).

i find it interesting that even within our little slice of the population that have found opeth, we have such staunchly different views on the albums. i'm shocked to death when someone says MAYH lacks emotion, as i'm sure you orchid fans will be fuming at my summary of it. just take a deep breath and realize how much we still DO have in common. ;)

What!??!??? Blackwater Park is almost
"winning" here!??? But that's such a
brilliant album!!! Oh well...
My vote went to Orchid, only cause I
haven't listened to it enough...
One day I'll put it on and won't turn it off
until I have fallen in love! >:eek:P Hehe...