Ophtalamia

AnTz0r

Crimson King
Oct 16, 2004
Netherlands
What is it? I can't find any info about it... no reviews or anything. Their website mentions some bullshit story about a fantasy world, and that some members are in Dissection etc....

What kind of music is it? Which album should i try first?

It's sort of a mish-mash of Dissection and some other guys. I remember listening to it once and not being impressed, although it wasn't bad or anything.

I'm iffier on Dissection and Ophtalamia nowadays, since it turns out the the Dissection guy was sort of a neo-Nazi type.

You know, him being an accomplice to killing an immigrant gay guy (the guy was Algerian, if I'm correct). He was hanging out with Vlad (the other guy accused of the murder) when it happened, and Vlad was known to be a pretty bad dude. It's been a long time since I read about what happened, but I'm pretty sure it was a hate crime.

That happened a while ago, and prison changes a person a lot. I don't see that as the current attitude of the band.

George said:
That happened a while ago, and prison changes a person a lot. I don't see that as the current attitude of the band.

Well, sure, I'm not pre-judging or anything, but it's not a good sign when Bard Faust leaves your band when he thinks you're a little too "extreme" for him. :)

Edit: He still committed a hate crime. And not something trivial; he murdered / assisted in the murder of another human being because of their race and sexual orientation. Maybe prison reformed him, but I haven't heard him express any regret over what happened ever. (Vlad and him blamed each other and denied the killing, if I'm not mistaken)

Naglfar said:
Well, sure, I'm not pre-judging or anything, but it's not a good sign when Bard Faust leaves your band when he thinks you're a little too "extreme" for him. :)

Edit: He still committed a hate crime. And not something trivial; he murdered / assisted in the murder of another human being because of their race and sexual orientation. Maybe prison reformed him, but I haven't heard him express any regret over what happened ever. (Vlad and him blamed each other and denied the killing, if I'm not mistaken)

They showed a documentry about this crime on Swedish TV not long ago.
It was kind well done and spread some light on a few things.

Naglfar said:
Oh wow, that's really cool. Is there any way to get it online? Do you know the channel that showed it?

Swedish channel "TV 3". I don`t remeber very much about it. I think it was a part of a tv show called "Efterlyst" (Wanted) where they try to help the police to catch criminals. It was a flashback story. Not sure if it was a part of this program or not. Can`t find any info about it now.

A funny thing is that our Culture Minister went to a concert with Dissection not long ago. He also bought what you can see on the picture below :p

AnTz0r said:
What is it? I can't find any info about it... no reviews or anything. Their website mentions some bullshit story about a fantasy world, and that some members are in Dissection etc....

What kind of music is it? Which album should i try first?

I would describe the music as Swedish Black Metal that was neither sounding like Dimmu Borgir nor Dark Throne, but sorta between those 2 extremes. They have a variety of releases and band members over the years. I don't believe Dan was ever involved, only Benny Larson. Their best work by far is Dominion and Via Dolorosa, both of which are definitely worth checking out.

thespectralsorrows said:
I would describe the music as Swedish Black Metal that was neither sounding like Dimmu Borgir nor Dark Throne, but sorta between those 2 extremes. They have a variety of releases and band members over the years. I don't believe Dan was ever involved, only Benny Larson. Their best work by far is Dominion and Via Dolorosa, both of which are definitely worth checking out.

Imo Dissection's sound, pre-arrest, was light years ahead of the rest of the black metal scene. I highly, highly recommend Storm of the Light's Bane and the Somberlain. To me, Storm of the Light's Bane was one of the defining albums of 1990s black metal. No true black metal fan should be without it.

Dan recorded Storm of the Light's Bane at Unisound studios back in the olden days, so that's where he's connected to them.

*bump*

Ophthalamia is brillant, check out Via Dolorosa. They are a bit of a cross between black and doom metal. Can't think of any comparisons but they definately don't sound anything like Dimmu Borgir or Darkthrone.

Yeah! They're pretty good! I checked them out on Metal Archives, a site I love by the way because it has over like 22 000 bands but you can't find slipknot lol

Did Dan Produce it? Or help with any of the music?

BTW, your minister of culture is the coolest politician ever. How is it in sweden? Like is it mostly metal heads? Or is metal still underground? Like, all good death metal and some blackmetal (naglfar and others) come from fucking sweden! It's as if it was a gene or something! Kinda like quebec here in Canada

Considering how many great metal bands come from sweden, it's surprising how few metal heads there are in Sweden. There is hardly no metal played on the radio. Maybe a couple of times a year a metal concert is aired. And it's the same with the tv. And the metal selection in normal record stores is usually horrible. You have to go to special music stores to get what you want. There are a couple in Stockholm that have specialized on, and have a great selection of, metal and punk.