Opinions on 5150 cab

tylerrr

Jun 17, 2010
Massachusetts
So there's a straight 5150 cab in good condition for sale at a local music store for a decent price. Right now I play a 5150ii head through a Marshall 1960B and a Carvin 412VT(http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=412VT) stacked. Both cabs have Celestion G12T-75s. I'm looking to replace the carvin. I really don't have a problem with it's sound, but I just really hate the look of it. I'd really like another straight cab and the carvin's metal grill is a real turn off for me. I know this isn't the best reason for wanting to replace my cab, which I'm ultimately satisfied with sonically, but if I can get a replacement of equal or hopefully better sound quality that I can stand looking at then why not? My question is simply, what do you think of/what are your experiences with the 5150 cabs? Specifically the straight ones. I've heard mixed things. Some people say they really like them and some people say that they're not the best(which I wouldn't expect anyway). I've always had good experiences with peavey stuff. Their tolex is tough as nails and they generally don't skimp on the quality of their components. The biggest complaint I've heard is the about the sheffield speakers. I'll stop talking and hopefully get some opinions. Thanks in advance!

The 5150 sounds much better with t75's or v30's. The sheffield 1200's sound kinda harsh. That being said, I sold my 5150 Cab for $200.

I have a 1960B and I love it. The carvin cab is the one I'm looking to replace. Ideally I would like another 1960B. I should probably just wait until one pops up on craigslist. There are usually a handful to choose from, but apparently it's a dry spell for 1960s in my area. Are your problems with the 5150 cab really just with the speakers or are you not fans of the construction either? Thanks for the responses.

I used one the other day in a pinch with a VOX (definaty NOT Metal) And it was surprisingly nice!
Its a bit woofy with loud guitar on chuggs; which is cool in the room but a nightmare when recorded!