Opinions on guitar tone for folk/post black metal stuff (and more...)

Allfader

Kvelding
Mar 14, 2006
Near Mountains
Hi there!

I hope you can help me with some advices about the guitar tone of something I'm working on. (I don't have a huge knowledge about mixing and stuff like that, so forgive my poor attempt at mixing).

I record guitars clean and I have Revalver III.V for distortions - I made a 'preset' with the ACM900 amp (eq'd= L= 5; M=6; H=4, gain 5) + a Soldano 2x12 impulse (I have a bunch of them but I can't find another one that works, there's an Engl one that's decent too). I use a Epi Les Paul with Bill Lawrence pickups, new strings, well calibrated and stuff. On my Marshall amp sounds good but I don't have the equipment to record them from it.

Rhythm guitars are Just 2 guitars with hard panning. The channels have a slight boost near 400hz and 5k + 1 lead guitar at center, same settings as others but with reverb and delay added, lower in the mix.

Bass was recorded clean and has a slight boost at 80hz. It's an Ibanez gsr396 custom fretless with semiflat strings.

Drums... I didn't play them, but just the snare has a slight reverb on it -Probably they'll need some editing/quantize (?)

I recorded all guitars/bass with a fast track pro. Cables and rest of hardware seems working fine.

This is the track (half of it).

http://soundcloud.com/kveldulf-bjalfason/forestfather-track-2-excerpt

Vocals will be done shortly.

Something else: I won't be doing the mixing, editing and rest of the process; I'll look for someone else to do it. It's an 6 track EP. If some of you are interested on working this and/or if you think you can get some good results with this, please let me know. Also, please tell me with all honesty if this can be worked to get a 'pro' final sound or I should look for another way of recording or reamping stuff, etc.

Thanx in advance.

If you're looking for that kind of ethereal sound then you've got it, for me the drums are too quiet though... guitars are overpowering everything.

Thanx! Drums needs some work there for sure and the bass should be 'glued' with the bass drum and stuff like I can notice but I don't know how to do it, but first I'll get those guitars lower in the mix.

The folk reference goes for the overall work, since the other songs have some folklore influence, like this one:

http://forestfather.bandcamp.com/track/demo-teaser-for-upcoming-album

The rest of this song - which was re-recorded recently - has more folklore stuff.

yepp, sounds good for post-black, apart from the drums level as was mentioned. don't see what you mean by pro sound, post-black is not supposed to be too polished, it's part of the appeal. just listen to bands like 'A Forest Of Stars', your mix is too clear already :). I would say just get the instrument balance right and keep the dynamics and the listeners will like it.

yepp, sounds good for post-black, apart from the drums level as was mentioned. don't see what you mean by pro sound, post-black is not supposed to be too polished, it's part of the appeal. just listen to bands like 'A Forest Of Stars', your mix is too clear already :). I would say just get the instrument balance right and keep the dynamics and the listeners will like it.

Thanx man! I'm not trying to get a too polished/modern sounding thing, but something fuller/heavier won't hurt the overall intention of the music, which I think a bass with more presence might help,as well as getting the bass drums higher in the mix . I'll lower the guitars and I'll see what happens.

My advice would be to edit the drums first before you track any bass, guitars or vocals. Once the drums have been edited, start laying the other stuff down. Drums are the foundation and have to be tight, especially in metal. This will help everything else fall into place (sound and performance).

Darren "Jenk" Jenkins;10271705 said:
My advice would be to edit the drums first before you track any bass, guitars or vocals. Once the drums have been edited, start laying the other stuff down. Drums are the foundation and have to be tight, especially in metal. This will help everything else fall into place (sound and performance).

not really strictly necessary in this style though, Listening to it the drums do need some editing, but I wouldn't edit 100% everything, more just where I hear it really is off, on the rest it could work fine that way.

I like this, the guitar tone is great and the rest could really benefit from a well-done mix.