Opinions on tracks appreciated.

Burner

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2003
Tampere, Finland
www.scorched.org
Hi, just finished work on our bands new EP. Recorded in our homestudio. Please tell us what you think. We know that the low end needs some work, any tips on that gladly accepted. What else could we do otherwise?

Our band is Scorched earth tactics, some sort of hardcore/deathmetal hybrid.

Whole EP as a .zip-file here, or as separate songs from the links below.

Lambs
Defiance
Futile Struggle
Italian Strike
Blastradius

Thank you, if you took the time to listen.

IMO--and I am by NO means an authority on this board--I think the mix is decent. I think what needs improvement is the actual recordings....man the middle of this song is killer, tight I like it...I think the snare and kick sounds could be better. I doubt that you used samples (gosh I sure hope not, no offense I hope) but if you did, I suggest using different ones. With what you have, I'd roll off a little more low end on the snare, or maybe compress a little more (it was pretty heavy on my speakers).

If it were my mix to do as I please with, I would most definitely resample the kick and snare. There are a bunch of threads here that will give you the ins and outs of aptrigga, an inexpensive program that you can replace your snare and kick with easily. I'm sure anyone on the forum would gladly send you adequate samples. Hope that helps a bit.

What system did you record with? BTW, if you spend a few weeks getting input from everyone in this forum then you'll probably end up rerecording the damn thing, and it'll sound better too!

Oops, fixed the link to the second song, it should work now.

Thanks for the input, we recorded it on an Alesis HD 24, single tracks (bass, vocals, snare, one guitar mic) through a Joe Meek VC6Q, other stuff on a Soundcraft Ghost console. Some samples were used on the drums, but we mostly relied on the natural sound, blending in rather minimal amounts of the sample. Two Beta 52s on the bass drum and three SM 57s on the snare, if I recall correctly.

Due to bandwidth issues, the EP is available at the following sites for the rest of the month.

Whole EP as a .zip-file here
or as separate songs here.

Comments still needed. I know there's room for improvement and you guys seem to know your stuff so please, any help appreciated.