Optimizing OSX for recording

20Mg

when september comes
Aug 5, 2009
Hello. Im currently running a clone copy of osx on an external HD that is dedicated just for recording. Are there such thing as setting memory usage as the highest priority to run a task ( in this case recording ) any tweaking tips at all? M sorry if i dont make sense ( still learning ):Smokin:

currently running leopard 10.5.8/ 2.4ghz/ 4gb 667 mhz ram

just dont use tiger and you´re ok ehhe tiger crashes at least 4 times a week on the studio i work on..gotta find time to install leo there

just dont use tiger and you´re ok ehhe tiger crashes at least 4 times a week on the studio i work on..gotta find time to install leo there

The studio I am interning at currently is running PT 7.4 HD on tiger and the machines haven't had any crashes.

There really isn't a whole lot of tweaking needed. The only things that I've ever seen recommended were to use a plain color desktop background instead of an image, disable bluetooth, disable wi-fi, and do the "killalldock" thing in terminal.

I don't know if it's that Windows has more processes to run or if OSX just uses the processor more efficiently? Not trying to start an OSX vs XP debate...just curious.

agreed that cloning OS X is a bit OTT..

ah well. don't know what the tiger hating is about, all the kernel panics i've had have been on leopard!

TRA: windows is not a "real time" operating system, and so CPU time can not be guaranteed. so people do the most they can to make sure the only processes running are vital.

OS X has a completely different kernel design (it's a micro-kernel), and so actually has a *lot* more processes running at once than windows, but *nix OS's have always been better at CPU time management.

Hello. Im currently running a clone copy of osx on an external HD that is dedicated just for recording. Are there such thing as setting memory usage as the highest priority to run a task ( in this case recording ) any tweaking tips at all? M sorry if i dont make sense ( still learning ):Smokin:

currently running leopard 10.5.8/ 2.4ghz/ 4gb 667 mhz ram

Some faster RAM will be better than any tweaks. My MBP came with 1067MHZ DDR3 RAM

After that, disable AirPort, Bluetooth, set Monitor and HD to never sleep.

SO OSX is on the external drive?
Where will you be recording to? Another drive?

wow.... where to start....

never clone a OS for audio use man! clean install always! why would you install the os on an external drive for audio? can anyone say bottleneck??? wow.

just lose the installation on the ext. hd! its not going to perform very well, considering that your cpu is only gonna be able to access anything at 400-800 mb/s or whatever. Im no expert on technical things, but I have used osx since panther, and have always just installed my audio apps on my regular installation, and have been a happy camper for like 4 years.

its osx for fuck sakes, diable wifi, bluetooth (doesnt even make much difference)

yes, as audiogeek mentioned, there is faster ram now, but both my machines are running 667mhz ram, and I never have issues running huge sessions in logic.

I think your over thinking things... its osx for fuck sakes lol

a typical hard drive can do a sustained read of around 40-50mbyte/s, which is between 320-400mbit. this is not real world usage though. sustained read rates mean almost nothing in the real world. more important is random seeking latency.

a firewire port is more than enough to take the sustained speed entirely, anyways.

whilst installing apps on an external hard drive is pretty pointless (they're only loaded once, not continuously), there can be benefits to tracking to an external hard drive. i'm guessing he's running on a laptop, so a larger desktop drive is faster to begin with. but also, the page file is located on the main drive, so paging shouldn't affect tracking/playback.

chances are, unless your mac is pretty new, it can't take 1067mhz memory anyways.

thanks,

Its because i bring it around alot.. I dont always have time to do it at home. I have an imac desktop ( main work station ) and a white macbook which i bring to work.
I have maxed out the ram and dcdanman is right. It cant take 1067mhz. Beyonddead is also right, im just over thinking.

So that must really be a problem with that iMac we got on the studio. I've even tried installing retail leo from a friend's DVD and it said it could not install on that computer...

So that must really be a problem with that iMac we got on the studio. I've even tried installing retail leo from a friend's DVD and it said it could not install on that computer...

A good idea would be to install some legit software and everything will work properly. Good to hear the pirated version isn't working for you. :)