Orange PPCs hard to record

Nov 6, 2005
A friend let me borrow their orange PPC and I am finding it easy to get a good sound in the room, but incredibly resonant and nasally under a mic. I find myseld notching quite a bit to get it to sit right. Is this a common experience?

I have very little experience with that cab, but, yes. The very few sound tests I did had the same conclusion.

I am always surprised by how bad it sounds when mic'd. And, "nasal" is the exact same word I would use also to describe it. However, it does sound quite well in the room, as you pointed out.

This is why I don't really like those cabs...

I remember reading a couple of times in this forum over the years how orange cabs are amazing sounding "in the room" but
very difficult to get a good tone with a mic

I'm using an orange PPC for the last 10 years or so to record my stuff. Try pulling the mic back a ft or so and it really opens up :).

Thanks guys. I was really starting to question whether I had mic placement down. I can get a good tone out of it, I just end up dynamically notching to an extent I have never had to before, so I was sure I was doing something wrong.