Orange rocker 30 to be discontinued :O

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
As I'm Gassing for a new amp I've been drooling over the orange rocker 30 head for a couple of weeks only to find out it's now discontinued (or soon to be) and is going to be replaced with the 'Thunder 30' which is apparently a more metal alternative which im not too chuffed about.

Anyway tone wise I usually shoot for punk/emo/hardcore sort of sounds where its not hugely saturated and almost kind of twangy.

Should I hold out and get the thunder 30 although im not overly keen on the idea? Or should I just buy the rocker 30 whilst I can before the only option is to get a used one (I HATE buying used).

If you can think of alternatvies I have a budget of around £600
No im not getting a JCM800 before people suggest that, I cannot afford it.

Also I'd prefer if you don't mention the used route, its just a personal thing but I like damaging the equipment myself :D

used jcm 800 or marshall JMP. can be had for 500 quid ish....
The rocker 50 is still around though innit?

Although I would love one I think it's a bit too jangly and twangy , to some degree the ac30 just screams britpop :D
mainly the contenders are just the orange rocker 30 and a used jcm800, could not find a used JMP for under a grand ANYWHERE

Although I would love one I think it's a bit too jangly and twangy , to some degree the ac30 just screams britpop :D
mainly the contenders are just the orange rocker 30 and a used jcm800, could not find a used JMP for under a grand ANYWHERE

ya need to look harder.
jmp 2203/2204.
generally shows up cheaper than 800s

ac30s are awesome for dirty stuff.

As already mentioned the Windsor is a great JCM800 copy.
The Rocker 30 is pretty cool, though I think the Thunder 30 is going to be awesome!
You could pick up a cheap Orange Tiny Terror and get it modded with an fx loop, throw in a eq pedal and you have a portable and flexible amp for recording.

not really.
sad people would argue so. but not really.
get a JMP.
thank me later.

There definitely is a gigantic difference. All modern reissues have horrible transformers with cheap iron and inferior winding practices. Transformers are one of the most important things in the final voicing of an amplifier, and a post 2003 reissue will not get you that raunchy held-together Marshall tone. Argue with me and you will phale, because my information is coming straight from an ex-Marshall employee who has seen more 800's in one day than most people have in a life time.