Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII, PRS Custom 24, Shure SM57 vs SM58

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

This is some random wankery from today. I'm out of tune... I know that but was feeling a bit lazy. :loco: So basically this amp gives you modern high gain and vintage crunch in this one channel. And waayyyy more gain than I'll ever use. To me the "Orange" factor is the flexibility to go from vintage to modern and inbetween. :tickled: YouTube effed up the audio so sorry for that.

Should the difference between an SM57 and SM58 be this big?

Feedback!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I borrowed one from a friend for ten days and this amp is awesome. PERFECT amp for rock. Just awesome. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money but it just cost too much in Brazil (around $4k)

I really like the sound of these amps, although I think the JCM 800 does "metal" better. Still, these really sound like the ideal amps for rock.

Clark, do you not think this amp benefits from having a ts put in front of it?

I borrowed one from a friend for ten days and this amp is awesome. PERFECT amp for rock. Just awesome. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money but it just cost too much in Brazil (around $4k)

Here in Europe I can buy two Rockerverb 100 MKIIs for the price of one Mesa Road King II. Also the cab is priced close to Marshall cabs.

I'm loving the versatility!

I really like the sound of these amps, although I think the JCM 800 does "metal" better. Still, these really sound like the ideal amps for rock.

Clark, do you not think this amp benefits from having a ts put in front of it?

I'm not a fan of scooping tones. As you might've noticed I had mids at noon all the time in this video. Orange suggests that you lower the middle and boost both the bass and treble for that massive metal sound. It's a cool sound but I would much rather have chord definition and the amazing feel of the mids killing other amps. It surely starts to sound Recto-esque when you drop the mids but if I wanted that I'd buy a Recto.

I bought a TS for this amp but it didn't really change the tone. The difference was so tiny and I preferred the feel without the TS so I returned the TS. The difference was extremely small. IMO TS works on amps that are scooped (f.ex. Mesa and Engl) and the TS brings back the mids. This amp already has the mids. Ola made a video of the difference: But I felt like I got the same tone by raising the treble and gain a bit.

Yeah but you lose some cool features if you use a TS on this amp. Like the fact that I don't have to use a noise gate for metal. With a TS I would have to do so. And the feel... with the TS this amp feels cold like Peavey and Mesa amps. I do have a POD HD for boosting and effects but I plan to go bare bones ATM simply because I can.

Here are the raw guitar tracks of the volume on 1 run of my song "Of Oranges Not Apples":

This thing has so much mids that a ts wont do much..If you look at the schematic, you'll see the coupling caps (the capacitors that limit the amount of low end between each gain stage are EXTREMELY SMALL so that explains why this thing is a mids beat.

I really like the sounds of these amps, but think they tend to sound a little "flubby" on the low end. I was thinking maybe a ts could tighten that up a bit.

Seems like an odd practice to use a pop filter for guitars but hey if it works it works. Judging by the sound, and especially for tighter metal sounds I'd probably require the boost pedal in front of this amp. Sounded pretty good, and I usually am not a fan of the Orange stuff, always seems a bit loose and spongey to my ears.

It's deffo a different kind of amp and if you want a stereotypical metal tone this might not be the amp for you. A tube screamer does tighten this amp up but I feel like there are better overdrive pedals that work for this amp. I think an EQ pedal would be better for this amp.

Yes you could! But it's not a match made in heaven like a Recto and a Tubescreamer. Jim Root from Slipknot doesn't use a boost either and I love his tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jcn2eAUnqCM#t=178s

I don't like boosting amps in the first place because I hate tapdancing so I keep things simple. Also the way that I play my guitar requires extreme dynamics. If I pick lightly I want my amp to sound almost clean. This way I can punctuate certain notes etc. It's a feel thing for me. :)

Hey I was playing around with the Rockerverb and realized how to tweak metal tones on the amp. So here it is: Rockerverb can has metalz!!

EDIT: Signal chain: PRS Custom 24 -> Orange Rockerverb -> Random 4x12 V30 cabinet -> SM57

Nothing else.