Orchestral Sequencing ??

brokkel

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
Hye there ,

Me and my band are searching for programs and Hardware to sequence Orchestral Arrengements and to obtain a sound that is as close as it can get to a real Philharmonical orchestra ... We're going to make pretty dark Orchestral Film-music and combine it with our type of metal

We we're already thinking to try the Roland XV-5050 or 5080

Are there better products in the market with even more real sounds

tnx

brokkel said:
Hye there ,

Me and my band are searching for programs and Hardware to sequence Orchestral Arrengements and to obtain a sound that is as close as it can get to a real Philharmonical orchestra ... We're going to make pretty dark Orchestral Film-music and combine it with our type of metal

We we're already thinking to try the Roland XV-5050 or 5080

Are there better products in the market with even more real sounds

tnx

Well, I´m not that up to speed with hardware. However, there is a VST-instrument called Halion (actually, I think it´s a sampler) which you can load a bunch of wicked sounds onto. There´s even choir-samples nowadays (not just the bog-standard oooh´s and aaah´s either; you can actually program the choir to sing what you´ve written, which is neato), called Armageddon or something original like that. Unfortunately, this requires two things: 1. Mucho dineros to buy the samples (if you intend on promoting and selling the stuff you´ve composed and recorded with the samples), lest you´ll be hearing from lawsuit, telling you to bend over and give him arms, legs, toes, fingers, the LOT.
2. Cubase (SX probably). Which blows. Mightily. And extremely much. I haven´t tried Halion on Logic, though, so I can´t confirm if it will work on it and other such programs. Other VST-instruments have been known to work on Logic, however, so Halion just might work as well.

You can check out Halion on Steinberg´s official homepage, http://www.steinberg.net . Armageddon (or whatever it´s called), I have no idea where to check out. You can probably find info if you scour the internet for some sample-sites.

I hope my post has been helpful to you.

U[Sic]M said:
There´s even choir-samples nowadays (not just the bog-standard oooh´s and aaah´s either; you can actually program the choir to sing what you´ve written, which is neato), called Armageddon or something original like that.

Wrong. The name of the disc is "Voices of the Apocalypse", and it isn´t for Halion either, it´s for Giga Sampler, almost the same thing. Oh, and by the way, this CD goes for around $500, which should give you an idea of the kind of money you´d have to cough up to use samples like this.

Those samples seem supa kuuul! Have you tried it?

It says it's Halion compatible, which means I could use them in Cubase, YES!

How the hell do you use gigasampler anyway? How do you program and play instruments you've loaded into it?

Mattias of the Night said:
Those samples seem supa kuuul! Have you tried it?

It says it's Halion compatible, which means I could use them in Cubase, YES!

How the hell do you use gigasampler anyway? How do you program and play instruments you've loaded into it?

Haven´t tried the samples yet. I´ve heard the Halion ones, and they´re totally bitchin´ and radical. Oh, wait, no, I HAVE heard the Apocalypse-samples, just not in action so to speak. There are a couple of demos of Apocalypse at http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=QLVOTAGS .

Doesn´t Halion work in the same fashion as Giga Sampler and vice versa? They´re both samplers.

U[Sic]M said:
Haven´t tried the samples yet. I´ve heard the Halion ones, and they´re totally bitchin´ and radical. Oh, wait, no, I HAVE heard the Apocalypse-samples, just not in action so to speak. There are a couple of demos of Apocalypse at http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=QLVOTAGS .

Doesn´t Halion work in the same fashion as Giga Sampler and vice versa? They´re both samplers.

Yeah but gigastudio is standalone software while halion is a plugin. With Halion you would probably just open it up as a VST instrument, then program a midi track and set Halion as its output. With gigastudio I just dunno. I've tried and I've tried... for 5 whole minutes I tried and I did not know what to do. I'm about to give up.

Mattias of the Night said:
Yeah but gigastudio is standalone software while halion is a plugin. With Halion you would probably just open it up as a VST instrument, then program a midi track and set Halion as its output. With gigastudio I just dunno. I've tried and I've tried... for 5 whole minutes I tried and I did not know what to do. I'm about to give up.

Actually, I think Giga S. works the same way. It did when I tried it, at least. I just smacked some samples in the program, loaded up Cubase, and set Giga S. in one of the channels. I was set to go. Then Cubase crashed probably. Anyway, check out http://ww.northernsounds.com , it´s supposed to be some sort of Gigasampler user-forum or something like that.