Orchestral Sequencing ??

brokkel

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
Hye there ,

Me and my band are searching for programs and Hardware to sequence Orchestral Arrengements and to obtain a sound that is as close as it can get to a real Philharmonical orchestra ... We're going to make pretty dark Orchestral Film-music and combine it with our type of metal

We we're already thinking to try the Roland XV-5050 or 5080

Are there better products in the market with even more real sounds

tnx

Well, top of the line is what Romeo uses, which is Gigastudio. These might be out of your price range though. I think the program and the libraries themselves will run you several thousand dollars. Plus you'll probably need a completely seperate PC just to run it (it takes a lot of power). Im not familiar with the Roland XV-5050 or 5080. The sound module I use is the Proteus 2000. This is a little out of date I think tho, they're up to the 2500 last I heard. The sounds in here are ok, nothin really amazing but I'd say if I really knew how to orchestrate properly I could get somethin that sounded at least as good as the sounds on V out of it.

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
why doesnt romeo use what's available through panella's keyboard?

because keyboards cannot get the kind of sounds that Gigastudio can get. This is a sampling program. When you buy a gigastudio library, it comes with tons of samples of sounds of entire orchestral istruments and stuff like that. For example, if you get their library of violin sounds, you have seperate samples for upbows, downbows, legato phrasing, stacatto phrasing, very quiet to very loud samples, its very complex and also very hard to program. But it results in sounds that are incredibly realistic.

don't be silly! nothing is free...

but you can find plenty of things stolen

thats right gigastudio is a pretty serious program.

the person i know who runs it properly has a pc for it (he uses a mac to do everything else, and a pc just for gigastudio. i suppose it could handle more than gigastudio but he prefers to use the mac.)

in addition he has 2 200GB hard drives loaded with samples for gigastudio. that's a good setup.. he is proud to say he has only the best samples. its cool actually...he's got several different styles of jaco pastorius' bass in there. the library is like Jaco - fretless, jaco - funk, etc... as well as several other famous bass players.

what i would recommend to you, is that you compose all the music first, and then buy some time at a studio which has a good gigastudio setup, and have one of their producers do everything for you. you should get in contact with the studio before you start working to figure things out. if you can write all the parts on a sequencer and include every info...tempo, changes, dynamics, staccatos and other effects, and its possible for you to just save that as a midi file and load it in (it should be) that would be ideal. the alternative of printing out the score with all the dynamics and other info (eg. piano...mezzo forte, etc) and having the producer input all that into the computer, is going to take forever and waste all your money.

but i know for a fact that if you write the parts as midi in digital performer, and save those files on a cd and bring them over, all the engineer has to do, is open the sessions in performer, and open up gigastudio, create the connections from DP to giga (ie say channel one on DP sends midi to channel one on giga, and then specify which patch to use for channel one in gigastudio), and then simply play the file while recording audio.

the midi you brought in will trigger the piano in gigastudio to play whatever sounds.

all you have to do is find a studio, and then find a program which you can use to record/compose with midi. record each instrument on a different channel, and make sure to edit the velocity to represent how loud parts should be (127 is the loudest, 1 is the softest). this way you have to spend the least time at the studio, but you still get the awesome quality of gigastudio.

if you are good enough at composing, you could just SEND the midi files to a studio and they'll be able to do it all for you.

contact me at the_accolade@hotmail.com to discuss this further - i seldom visit this forum.

digital performer is only for mac, but its a great program, and would do everything you need.

but most software, with a midi controller keyboard to make things more convenient, will make a good file. midi is good stuff... you can have a file which says what notes to play, when, when to turn the notes off, and how loud to play them. so if you have a midi file controlling gigastudio, you're all set! way better than playing all the parts yourself or having the engineer play them. that's very time consuming

i'm not 100 percent sure but at least one of the following software should be able to make the kind of midi file you need

sonar
reason
fruity loops
pro tools
cubase

where do you live?

I really suck at using standard notation and computer hardware so that would be a nightmare for me. That sounds so cool though, eventually I will really work hard on learning to write out music. I think it's the rythmic side of things that's the hardest.

THe Kontakt Sampler isn't bad but all the Samplers are pretty complicated and need huge extra Sample CDs. A good and "cheap" solution (About 370,-€) is Orchestral from Edirol. It uses samples but it changes them by itself so you don't need hundreds of files. You can load it easily as a VST Instrument into Cubase for example.

by the way the producer i know who has gigastudio, has one sample library that is taken from the vienna philharmonic orchestra. that's as close to the real thing as you can get! i think one of the 2 200 GB hard drives is dedicated to vienna phil.