ORCumentary - Orc Happy Growls and Keyboard Mayhem

orcslayr23

Jan 30, 2008
CT, USA
ORCumentary's debut album "Orc Happy Growls and Keyboard Mayhem" was reviewed by "The End Records' Unknown Heroes of the Underground"

The following review was copied and pasted from this link:

http://underground.theendrecords.com/2010/09/24/orcumentary/#more-176

by: Graham “Gruhamed” Hartmann

"Metal is the most diverse and progressive genre of music on the planet, but even after over 4 decades of evolution, it’s still difficult to imagine the new genres which will set our ears ablaze in the near future. With metal’s family tree already tall as a redwood, it’s difficult to perceive a band who can be more technical than NECROPHAGIST, more aggressive than PIG DESTROYER or more over the top than GWAR. We’ve got pirate metal, viking metal, metal from outer space, even Arnold Schwarzenegger metal. But a new concoction has been brewed in the murky depths of Southington, Connecticut. It is both a glorious and disgusting new form of music; the auditory mutation known as… Orc Rock!

ORCumentary is the brainchild of Orc Adams, (pictured to the right) Orc hero and wielder of the keyboard of mayhem. It could be said that Orc shares many qualities with BURZUM’s Varg Vikernes. They both create their music alone, have used synthesizers as their sole instrument and they both possess hypnotic qualities used to lure their listeners into a world of dreamlike fantasy. The only difference is that Varg has only killed one person.

ORCumentary’s first full-length album, Orc Happy Growls and Keyboard Mayhem wastes no time in capturing the undivided attention of the listener with the intro track, The Orcs. The song’s chorus becomes instantly burnt into memory as Orc Adams screams: “Hey! The Orcs! The Orcs are stupid. Hey! The Orcs! The Orcs are dumb,” with a guttural that leaves the listener wishing they had friends to sing along with. The introspective cut, Blood, is written in similar style to the works of They Might Be Giants, namely Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas).

Where would I be without my glorious blood?! I’d be a dried up husk without any way to bring oxygen to the rest of my body!

The question being answered all too literally, accompanied with the rest of the song’s lyrics, are bound to make fans of dry or absurd humor curl up in a fit of awkward laughter, as if they had been watching Monty Python and The Holy Grail. The humor is relentless, from Super Mario and DOOM-like riffs, to a three-part epic tale of how an overweight Orc battled his caramel desires.

The album ends with the 24-second piece, Orc in my Bathtub; leaving the right listener oddly satisfied and curiously impressed with the catchy and hilarious, yet experimental record. Unfortunately most people probably aren’t going to “get it” when it comes to ORCumentary. A select minority however, who share a similar sense of humor and possess an understanding of the subtext, which playfully mocks Lord of the Rings influenced genres of metal (as well as those who take it too seriously), will find themselves unable to stop listening.

Check out ORCumentary at: www.myspace.com/orcumentary"