OT - Advise please

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
This is for the muso / home recording types.

I want to update my present home recording set up (since it's more than a little pathetic).

I want something simple (I hate manuals) and preferably computer based. I already have some software (thanks edonkey2000 :)!!), but I'm unsure of what hardware I'll need. Looking around on the web, I'm swinging towards the Yamaha DSP Factory.

Can anybody recommend this product, or indeed anything else on the market that can record direct to a PC?

Any input would be appreciated before I part with my £££'s.

Cheers

Lee

If I had extra cash floating around wanting to be spent on home studio related hardware I'd buy as much RAM as my motherboard can handle, since the DIMM pieces are ridiculously cheap these days.

Next I'd go for a Line6 POD2.0, since judging by the samples I've heard of it in action, it's the ideal solution for a home studio project. If you have good acoustics in your recording room this won't be very necessary. Besides, I think we got decent sounds on the latest Thales songs using our 70£ crappy AKG mic in a bedroom with all kinds of stuff all over the room. Just some sweating with EQs..

Yamaha DSP Factory seems to be a good choice with four I/O's and two mic inputs. If you're going to record drums, I suggest you find a card with more inputs, such as Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (8 inputs).

edit:

I'm sure Soul Forlorn will provide good first-hand experiences on this.